Oh look, another brand new popstar for us to coo over! Today’s six questions are being asked to Torrey Mercer, who we just know you’ll be loving when her EP ‘Exhale’ is released at the end of the week.
But why wait that long to tell all of your friends, “I knew her first”? Get the scoop right now by reading our chat with her…
1. Tell us why we should listen to you in 140 characters or less…
Above all, because I use my music to speak truths that aren’t usually said.
2. If you had to compare the sound of your music to a crisp flavour, what would you pick and how do they relate?
Haha okay no lie, my American was showing a little here when I didn’t realise what this question was asking the first five times I read it. Crisp flavours! I’m gonna go with Salt and Vinegar. My music can definitely be a little salty (which happens to be the Internet’s new word for sassy, so it works) and has a kick to it. But then you’ve got this vinegar element, which is this bold and sometimes overpowering flavour people usually either love or hate. Honestly I feel like that sums up me and my music perfectly. I’ve always been someone who gets these polarized responses from people either loving or hating me/my music, and I guess at this point in the game I don’t see that as a bad thing. I think some of the most successful artists out there get the same response from people. I just know what I’m about and who my people are. If you don’t like it, c’est la vie.
3. What was the first single you ever bought and how has it inspired your music today?
Oh god haha, honestly it probably was something *NSYNC released, or Missy Elliot or something back in the day. In the sense that those early millennial jams taught me how much I love music, it’s absolutely inspired my music. Those artists are some of the first I listened to, you know? But a lot of my musical influences do come from the last seven years or so, I won’t even lie.
4. Picture the scene… you have found a time machine and been sent back to the year 1996. You have been selected to become a member of a band known as the Spice Girls. What would your nickname be?
I’m in love with this question, first of all. Second of all, that is so hard! Probably something like Sassy Spice or Queen Spice, maybe even Fire Spice. I’d want it to be something that makes things interesting, and embodies the kind of performer I am, which usually this all over the place sass monster. I’m terrible with stage names though, probably why I stuck to my biological name.
5. If you were given a pet cat and told you had to name it after an existing popstar, what would you name it?
This is definitely a tough one, but I’m going with ‘Yonce. Can’t beat the queen, man.
6. Can you tell us that you love us?
And because Torrey loves us so much, she’s giving us signed copies of her ‘Exhale’ EP to pass on to three of you lucky lot. Just follow @maximumpop on Twitter and RT the following:
— Maximum Pop! (@maximumpop) February 3, 2016