Are you a saint, or a sinner? We’re all guilty of doing some of these, and for others it’s completely out of our control! But it was still probably our own fault…
Books are precious and should be treated like baby unicorns. Here are some of the worst things you can ever, ever, ever do to a book:
1. Dropping it in the bath. Oh sure, you didn’t MEAN to do it. But if you’re going to take a paperback into the tub with you, the chances are high that eventually you’ll drop one into the drink.
And cue the desperate pawing at the water to rescue what is essentially ruined forever. Once those pages are wet they’ll never be the same again.
2. Dog ear the pages.
Maybe one of the more controversial things. Is it a total crime? Or an essential part of your reading routine? We won’t judge you but if you were one of those dog-ear types, we might not be able to be friends anymore. Just saying.
3. Book folding art.
We learned our lesson, k? A more extreme form of dog-earing, this is the process of folding whole pages of a book to make a pretty sculpture once finished.
We’re sorry. We won’t do it again.
3. Fold the cover over while reading. Nope, nope, nope.
Not only does this BREAK THE SPINE it makes the cover all weird. It will never sit right ever again. So don’t do it. Just hold your book like everyone else. Gaw.
4. Lend them out.
This is like playing with fire. You’re going to get burned. Or, in this case, you’re going to get a book returned with chocolate fingers prints on the pages and unexplained stains. That’s if you ever get it back…
5. Speaking of chocolate.
Don’t eat and read. Especially if it’s a library book. No one wants an unidentified crumble flying out of it when they pick it up. We’ve already mentioned the sticky fingerprints, but it’s worth mentioning again because it dirty. And nasty. And should be nowhere near the pages of our books. End of.
6. Lose the dust jacket. Are you crazy?
These things are there for a reason. It protects your pretty hardback… from dust. Like a jacket. Hence the name. So why oh why would you let it get lost? Slip that sucker off for a pretty picture but slap it straight back on.
7. Drop it on the beach.
A little niche, perhaps. But if you’ve never experienced this then consider yourself lucky. Because once you chuck your current read in the sand it will haunt you for days. Probably years.
Sand will fall out of that puppy even while it’s sitting on the shelf. And the sound of grains scratching the paper as you turn the pages… Yuck.
8. Highlighters and pencils. So sometimes you might need to use a book for studying purposes and it’s for this we make the exception.
HOWEVER! Highlighting and marking pages in your day-to-day reading? No. It’s bad and wrong. You’re a terrible person.
Which of these have you fallen prey to? Tweet us @maximumpopbooks
- The A to Z of YA tropes we love to hate to love
- 7 book trailers that are better than binging on Netflix
- Quiz: How good is your memory? We bet you can’t match half these blurbs to their books
- 11 book covers that will make you cringe and hug your pretties
- Watch: Will Honor and Perdita Cargill or Clare Furniss win the battle of the YA quotes?
- Get the Look: Holly Smale’s ‘Head Over Heels’ has inspired us to embrace our model geek