We trundled over to Waterstones Piccadilly at the crack of dawn last Friday to make it to a very special breakfast event – the unveiling of the 2017 World Book Day titles!
But we also got a glimpse of the amazing celebrations for #WorldBookDay20.
We arrived in the depths of Piccadilly to bowls of croissants and giant gold balloons. I mean, who doesn’t love balloons?
We happily munched away on our breakfast as author Steven Butler and WBD head honcho Kirsty Grant chatted about the history of World Book Day and just generally how awesome it is.
And then the guests came out and we forgot how to breathe. Dame Jacqueline Wilson walked into the room and we (quietly) lost our minds.
— Maximum Pop! Books (@maximumpopbooks) September 9, 2016
But she wasn’t the only children’s book legend in the room: we also had Francesca Simon (‘Horrid Henry’), Liz Pichon (the official WBD illustrator for 2017) and Peppa Pig!
‘The Biggest Book Show on Earth’ tour will be hitting 5 UK cities next year – London, Cardiff, Dublin, Glasgow and Coventry.
It made everyone’s heart smiles hearing these authors celebrate reading and discuss which character they’d like to dress up as. Jacqueline Wilson’s choice?
The chat quickly turned to the importance of school libraries, parents reading to their children and how World Book Day has brought reading into the media and the news.
What are you most excited about for #WorldBookDay20? Let us know in the comments below.
- Quiz: What does your favourite ‘Harry Potter’ book say about you?
- Coming full circle: The books that meet a shattering conclusion by going back to the beginning
- The ultimate ship wars… just who are your one true OTP?
- Quiz: Which Hogwarts house would you be in based on your fave YouTuber?
- We’re such suckers for beautifully written books. Here are some of our faves and the quotes that made us fall in love
- World Book Day are turning 20 in 2017 and they’re celebrating in style