Who doesn’t love a good scare? The best thing about scream-tastic reads is that it’s pure fiction. You can just put it down and have a mug of hot chocolate when it all gets too much.
Here we list some of the bestest and most terrifying reads you could ever add to your TBR. PLUS! We’ve got 6 copies of ‘Nightmares’ to giveaway. Spooktacular!
1. ‘Daughters Unto Devils’ by Amy Lukavics
Amanda feels like she’s losing her mind. Set on the American prairie, some time ago, she faces some serious demons. And believe us when we say this book will HAUNT YOU for a long time after. *shudders*
2. ‘The Girl from the Well’ by Rin Chupeco
Ok, so if you’ve seen ‘The Ring’ or ‘The Grudge’ then just the title and blurb of this book should raise your hackles. And whereas this book THANKFULLY won’t scar you in the same way as those movies, it’ll deffo give you chills.
3. ‘Killer Instinct’ by S. E. Green
Not ‘horror’ by genre, but there is more than enough in this narrative to unsettle and disturb you. The protagonist is potentially a bona fide sociopath. Think Dan Wells ‘I Am Not A Serial Killer’ but with a girl MC and a whole lot more ick. A thrilling read to say the least!
4. ‘Diary of a Haunting’ by M. Verano
As if the cover isn’t enough to make your heart stutter. It’s the thing of freakin’ nightmares! And it’s no picnic for the main character either. Paige is carted off to Idaho and her new home is less than friendly. Yikes!
5. ‘The Creeper Man’ by Dawn Kurtagich
More psychologically scary, but that’s what a nightmare is, right? And this book offers SO MUCH in the way of visual creepery (yes, we totally made up that word) and disturbing scenes. Brilliant, though. 100%.
6. ‘Nightmares’ ed. by Ellen Datlow
Terrifying? Haunting? Bound to make you think twice about turning that light out? Yep, yep and double yep. But it’s also such a THRILL. Tachyon publishing have really gone all out with this one. And including great authors like Garth Nix, what’s not to love?
U.S. based MP!ers: Want to win a copy? Here’s how…
1. Follow us @maximumpopbooks
2. RT the tweet below.
This competition is now closed! Congrats to the winners @Nocturnal_Poe, @annebelcon, @SalonikaVale, @TheresaJSnyder, @oo_carmel_oo, @dina786.
Pray tell, which books give you the serious heebie jeebies? Tell us in the comments below!
If things get TOO scary, take a quick social media break. Have Snapchat make you smile before diving back in!
- Here’s why the Spinster Club series is every book blogger’s #1 fave
- Video: The Diabolic in 30 seconds: Careful – you might just get gripped
- Quiz: How well do you know what these Harry Potter charms and spells do?
- If Hermione had Snapchat
- Quiz: Can we guess your exact age based on your favourite Harry Potter character?
- This YouTuber thinks ABBA will 100% help you write a novel… um, what?