Let’s not beat around the bush. Angie Thomas’ STUNNER ‘The Hate U Give’ has stormed out of the starting gate and won the race to best book of 2017, and we’re not even half way through the year yet.
And we don’t even feel bad about saying it. It’s IMPORTANT y’all. It’ll change you and it’ll do things to you mentally as well as emotionally. Physical side effects of reading THUG include severe fangirling, paper cuts and a heavy book hangover.
This is why we’re all obsessing over it, and why you should too:
1. It’s an own voices story. We know there aren’t enough own voices books out there, especially in YA, so we’re super stoked to have such a poignant and unputdownable addition.
2. It’s a tough topic, told in such a compelling and moving way. Taking on gun violence and drawing on the ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement is no easy feat, but Angie Thomas speaks up, speaks out, and speaks to the heart of the reader. This book will challenge you to think differently.
3. Angie’s writing is so engaging. You’re gonna be locked in from page one. A smooth, addictive style. We challenge you to try and put it down once you’ve picked it up!
4. Your heart will break. Your heart will soar. It’s a rare find. Those books that all at once manage to cut you up while at the same time, make you feel warmth and light. Soft as it is hard. How? Because Angie Thomas is obviously a writing wizard.
5. It’s culturally and socially and politically relevant. Literally to the right here and now. But don’t think for a moment that you’ll even notice that you’re being shown these things. You’ll be too busy falling in love with the characters and hooked on the story they tell you.
6. If Adam Silvera says so…
And Laurie Halse Anderson…
Then you just gotta go get it. Now. It’s the only logical thing to do.