What does the word “family” actually mean? Is it just to be saved for those that raised you, that share the same blood? Or is it something more?
Estelle Laure’s fantastic book, ‘This Raging Light’ explores these questions, among many others. And here we’ve featured some of our favourite YA books that do the same.
1. ‘This Raging Light’ by Estelle Laure – With both parents out of the picture, it’s up to Lucille to look after her sister, and pay the bills. But is she really on her own?
2. ‘Lock and Key’ by Sarah Dessen – “Ruby, where is your mother?” Made to live with the sister she hasn’t seen for ten years, life’s about to get really mucked up.
3. ‘How I Live Now’ by Meg Rosoff – Packed off to visit family she’s never met before the real meaning of family and love and the boundaries of those are discovered, and tested.
4. ‘Wild Swans’ by Jessica Spotswood – Family secrets, intense pressure, expectations and pushing the ties that bind to breaking point.
5. ‘Lies Like Love’ by Louisa Reid – An intense story that asks if it’s possible to love someone too much? And is it really from love that they are acting out of?
6. ‘Paper Butterflies’ by Lisa Heathfield – June’s home life sucks. It more than sucks. It’s absolutely horrific. An important book that show just how easy it is to miss cases of abuse, from both inside a house and outside it.
Is there a book we should have featured on this list? Tweet it to us @maximumpopbooks
And hey, it’s not all bad. Books are awesome for making us feel these things. Speaking of which, you can get all the feels in your own copy of ‘This Raging Light’. Available right here.
- Fans reactions to the #CursedChild preview shows are so spell-binding that you’ll be begging for tickets!
- 11 times Dolores Umbridge made you hate her more than Voldemort
- Can you guess these #ZoellaBookClub titles from just the tag line?
- Judge a book by its cover: ‘Paper Butterflies’ by Lisa Heathfield is so beautiful it’s making readers impulse buy!
- Quiz: what percent Death Eater are you?
- Which book in the #ZoellaBookClub picks has the best cover? Cast your vote here!