The new ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ book has been released and all us diehard Potterheads rushed to get it, because we know J K Rowling. She ALWAYS gives us a little something-something every time there’s an update, or a rejacket, or revised edition.
We already knew there would be new beasts included, but we were not ready for the forward by Newt Scamander that is just short of a confessional. What exactly were Dumbledore and Newt to each other?
The forward “to appear only in ‘For Wizards’ revision” is a real thrill to read. Newt comments on the differences between previous “muggle readers” editions and that he is now free to say more thanks to the “declassification of certain secret documents”.
What we really want to know? Was Newt a spy for Dumbledore?
“No undercover wizard would have chosen to pose as a Magizoologist in that period [it was] considered dangerous and suspect.”
Come on, now, Newt. That’s not a real answer, is it? It still seems like a pretty genius disguise. A feint. A grand slight of hand. A magical and beastly distraction.
Like… “Oops, I’ve set all these magical creatures loose in the city. Sorry about that. Look at them go while I slip into your offices…”
And Newt DID end up catching Grindelwald in the end, didn’t he? A happy mistake? Or…
“I am not yet in a position to tell the full story of my activities during the two decades that Gellert Grindelwald terrorised the world.”
Of course he’s not. But that’s what the ‘Fantastic Beasts’ cinematic sequel is for, eh? This is the best bit though, Newt admits that it’s true:
“Albus Dumbledore was something more than a schoolteacher to me.”
OH REALLY? Pray tell. Go on.
He claims he cannot say more for fear of breaking the Official Magical Secrets Act and Dumbledore’s trust. So it looks like we’ll have to wait out for the movies. *big sigh*
Side by side with ACTUAL SPIES though… Does he hold his own?
- Newt – 10 – Obviously!
- Harriet – 2 – Because she’s teeny, tiny. Harriet vs. an erumpent?
- James – 1 – A niffler would be his worst nightmare
- Newt – 3 – Wellll, he does have a suitcase to hide in
- Harriet – 8 – This time her size is on her side!
- James – 10 – It’s James freakin’ Bond.
- Newt – 2 – He’s an awkward little muffin
- Harriet – 6 – She can talk her way out of a sticky sitch
- James Bond – 7 – How much is real, and how much is fakery?
- Newt – 8 – Because he’s cute as a button
- Harriet – 7 – She’s got charm.
- James – 9 – Is there anyone this guy can’t win over?
What do you think? Is Newt being coy, or do you think he’s telling the truth? Let us know in the comments!