It seems to be that the word “stepmother” goes hand in hand with “evil” in the world of fiction. Why she always so mean?
Well, we’re here to say that she isn’t always cruel. In Lisa Heathfield’s ‘Paper Butterflies’, June’s stepmother is a bad seed. Bad, bad, bad. But sometimes, just sometimes, it doesn’t have to end in total heartache:
1. ‘Along for the Ride’ by Sarah Dessen
Auden may not like her new 26-year old step-mom in the beginning. But Heidi isn’t cruel, she isn’t mean, and they work it out.
You can always rely on Queen Dessen to give you a story full of realness and emotion.
2. ‘Sense and Sensibility’ by Jane Austen
What? We know. But Mrs Dashwood is the second wife of her husband, so before they have the girls there’s a boy. And she’s the step-mother. But even when they’re essentially being thrown out on their ears by him, she’s not callous or harsh. #saint *snorts*
3. ‘We Are All Made of Molecules’ by Susin Nielsen
Stewart’s new step-mother isn’t a total douche, which is refreshing. It’s his new step-sister where the problem lies. This family gets blended together with mixed results; but it makes for GREAT reading.
4. ‘A Midsummer’s Nightmare’ by Kody Keplinger
Whitley does a wee bit of partying and acting out in this book.
Tbf, she’s not handling the new situation she’s found herself in. But her new stepmother isn’t the problem, at all. Which, again, is really refreshing to read.
See? The stepmother doesn’t ALWAYS have to be evil. It takes all kinds to make a family, and even more that that to make a good story.
Have you read ‘Paper Butterflies’ yet? No? Well you can go get your copy right here.
- The making of a Queen Bee: Why are the mean girls so mean anyway?
- MP! Exclusive: Win a signed copy of Amy Alward’s ‘The Potion Diaries’ signed by Zoella and Amy!
- WIN! Cast your vote to win an incredible Clare Furniss bundle posted straight to your door
- WIN! A #YALC tote bag full of swag and signed by 30 authors, including VE Schwab, Michael Grant and Patrick Ness? Heck yes!
- The brand new ‘Book Box Club’ reveals its next theme plus all the subscription boxes you should be excited about this summer!
- QUIZ: Can you name the characters in these FictionAlley Harry Potter ships? Some pairings will shock you!
- MP! Exclusive: Be the first to get your hands on SJ Kincaid’s ‘The Diabolic’ – it’s ‘The Hunger Games’ meets ‘Red Queen’!
- ‘Sing’ for your sorrow? The 6 celebrity break-ups that we’re still not totally over!