Meet Stewart. He’s geeky, gifted and sees things a bit differently to most people. Meet Ashley. She’s popular, cool and sees things very differently to her new family. Stewart and his dad have moved in with Ashley and her mum – it’s not going to be smooth sailing in this new family…
This is a book about friendship, family, falling apart and coming back together again. And if you’re not sold on that, well, listen up.
It’s impossible not to love Stewart and Ashley
The’re such different characters and they look at the whole in opposite ways, and that means that you almost get two stories through the dual narration!
Tricky topics are dealt with in a pitch-perfect way
Stewart lost his mum before the book begins and he’s still grieving; both Stewart and Ashley experience bullying; and Ashley is dealing with the fact that her dad has come out and moved out. All these things could get too much for one book, but Susin Nielsen is just that good!
High school is a jungle
Stewart is super clever, quick-witted and a pro at geeky jokes. Ashley struggles with the actual school stuff but knows how to work people. Watching them clash and then start to bond was super cute, especially when they started to realise how the other struggles at school.
Can we talk about that cover?
I mean, come on, it’s AMAZING. The blue and yellow. The dots. The title font. It’s just beautiful and we’ll shamelessly turn it face out in every bookshop we walk into…
It has everything – sweetness, humour, emotion and important topics
Juggling so many strands of a story that make a short book feel cluttered, but we think ‘Molecules’ is pretty darn perfect and we wouldn’t change a thing about it!
Grab your copy here!
Read it already? Tell us why you love #MoleculesBook at @maximumpopbooks!
- Which upcoming YA release should you read based on your starter Pokemon?
- We’ve reimagined these classic books as ice cream flavours…but which ones would you actually eat? Vote now!
- 9 types of readers we all know exist, because we’re not all the same y’all!
- No bookshelves? No problem. Here’s 9 ways to stack your books sans bookcase!
- A Literary Guide to Southampton by Stephanie Derham
- Here’s how to win £100 to spend at Paperchase with Siobhan Curham’s ‘The Moonlight Dreamers’!
- Finished with the latest season of ‘Orange is the New Black’? Then here’s all the books you need in your life right now!