Jenny Downham’s gorgeous third novel ‘Unbecoming’ is a story about love, grief and a whole lotta secrets. And in case you hadn’t noticed, we love it.
But just in case you need a reason or two to part with your hard-earned cash and grab yourself a copy (which you can do right here!), let us tell you a little about it.
The three leading ladies
Yup, you read that right, three. We have 3 stories – Katie, her mum and her grandmother – all intertwining and getting complicated. We LOVE that we get to see these 3 strong women muddling along together.
There are few things more satisfying to read about that the moment when a secret comes spilling out, and when you’ve got three leading ladies, that’s 3 glorious secrets.
So much emotion
Yeah, the writing and story is definitely emotional, but we mean us when we were reading it! We fell hard for these ladies and reading about the hurt and tragedy in their lives totally broke us. But in a good way, obvs.
Messy, complicated families
We often read about families in YA that are either picture perfect or completely messed up, but Katie’s family is messily, chaotically normal. It was so refreshing to read about things that worm their way into our daily family lives.
Jenny Downham’s writing
We just can’t, you know? The power and emotion, the subtlety and rawness, the strength and skill – the EVERYTHING. We basically read this book armed with sticky notes and an awed smile on our face. It was a pleasure.
Tell us why you love ‘Unbecoming’ at @maximumpopbooks
- Fancy yourself a book judge? Help decide the winner of the Chicken House writing comp!
- 13 of your cute af tweets celebrating Joe Sugg’s #UsernameRegenerated being released
- Quiz: How well do you know your swoony reads?
- Return of the bad covers – so bad they’ll make you cry
- We can’t stop laughing at these authors freaking out over discovering their patronus on Pottermore
- Quiz: Can you match the author to their fictional characters?
- What is your patronus based off your fave YouTuber?