Patrick Ness’ ‘The Rest of Us Just Live Here’ is a wonderfully intelligent answer to this question: “What if you aren’t the Chosen One?”
Calm down, Obi Wan.
‘The Rest of Us Just Live Here’ is out in paperback this month! Max excite! But just in case you’re not already on the bandwagon for this book, here’s some of the most quotable lines. Be warned. Patrick Ness is a literary freakin’ genius:
“Feelings don’t try to kill you, even the painful ones.”
“…when you choose your family, you get to choose how it is between you, too. This is how we work. I hope you get to choose your family and I hope it means as much to you as mine does to me.”
“We share out craziness, our neuroses, our little bit of screwed-up-ness that comes from our family. We share it. And it feels like love.”
“Sometimes you need things rather than just thoughts.”
“…but it’s a tradition, as if that alone is reason enough. Slavery and buying your wife were traditions, too.”
“If you’re too specific, people will purposely mishear you so they can be outraged about whatever thing that usually outrages them.”
“We’re each other’s questions, aren’t we? The question that never gets an answer.”
“We’re just as screwed up and brave and false and loyal and wrong and right as anyone else.”
“I can’t tell you what’s real for you. But in return, you can’t say what’s real for me either. I get to choose. Not you.”
“So many of your decisions aren’t yours; they’re made by other people. Sometimes they’re made badly by other people. Sometimes they’re made by other people who have no idea what the consequences of those decisions might be.”
And now feel free to stare out of the window and wonder what you’re doing with your life, because how can anything match up to the awesomeness that is Patrick Ness?
- A new book from Veronica Roth? Want to see the cover?
- 12 of the best YA that deal with grief and loss
- Wattpad Writers: ‘Dark and Dangerous Love’ author Molly Night shares her writing process + win 250 radish coins!
- MP! Reads: Liz Kessler reads from ‘Read Me Like a Book’ and it will make you feel stuff
- Enter our ‘pets and pages’ photo competition and win many Morgan Matson goodies!
- Bookshelf tours, hauls and filming on her iPhone: A Q&A with Jen Campbell
- How to Start a Book Blog: Blogs to Inspire You