Were any of the characters in ‘All Of The Above’ inspired by real life people? The characters were somewhat inspired by people I went to school with, but each is a composite of many people and are real extremes of personalities. I guess Polly is the one most based on a real friend. Alice and Alex, the smuggest couple in the world are based on real people too, although I couldn’t possibly reveal who!
What made you want to write a book with no supernatural or horror elements to it? My previous novels all had romantic subplots and I always really enjoyed writing those scenes. One of my all-time faves is the cinema date in ‘Hollow Pike’. If you think about it, what could possibly be more scary or horrifying than losing your virginity anyway?
What is your advice for individuals who are still in the closet and have yet to come out to their parents/friends? There is no one piece of advice because everybody’s circumstances are different. I always think people know when the timing is right, when you feel the benefits would outweigh any potential backlash. All I will say is that sometimes friends and family need time to process. A degree of patience is necessary.
Favourite book ever? My favourite book ever is ‘Clockwork’ by Philip Pullman.
What do you think is the most important book of 2015? The most important book I’ve read is When ‘Everything Feels Like the Movies’ by Raziel Reid, although it’s actually out in early 2016! One to watch out for!
What would you Hogwarts house be? I always used to say Slytherin, but wonder if that’s actually a bit try-hard. Like ‘oooh look at me, I’m so dark and unusual, truly no-one understands my kookiness’, so I’ll say Ravenclaw.
Do you have any crazy costume plans for YALC 2016? Well it’ll be my first YALC as a trans woman, so I’ll probably just enjoy going as myself!
Big thank you to James for answering all of those questions! If you have thoughts or further questions, tweet us @maximumpopbooks.
More bookish articles?
- We couldn’t wait for a Worldwalker movie, so we cast it ourselves – with Dylan O’Brien, Bella Thorne & MORE
- Whisper Challenge with Patrick Ness – can he guess the lines to ‘The Rest Of Us Just Live Here’?
- Which of 1D would survive the Maze? Find out in our interview with bestselling author James Dashner
- Check out all the love & support the YA community is showing James Dawson on Twitter after his big announcement
- Non Pratt, Lauren St John, Liz Kessler & YA Readers react to the film ‘He Named Me Malala’
- VIDEO: 3 reasons you NEED to read ‘Glass Sword’, from author Victoria Aveyard
- VIDEO: Travel back to September and attend Patrick Ness’ Waterstones Picadilly event with us
- INTERVIEW with Ryan Graudin: WWII, wolf-dogs and the inspiration behind ‘Wolf By Wolf’
- Become a published author with Times/Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition
- Q&A with Holly Smale: “I actually begged to write ‘All Wrapped Up’”
- MP! EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Everything you need to know about ‘Never Evers’ by Tom Ellen & Lucy Ivison
- MP! Review: why Geek Girl: All Wrapped Up should be on your Christmas List