So, you’ve heard about ‘Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer’ and aren’t totally convinced that you need another Rick Riordan novel in your life just yet. After all, Percy Jackson was your first Greek demi-god love. That’s not so easily replaced.
However, may we at MP! assure you that there is room in your bookish heart for two series about an American demi-god with no clue what he’s doing a the world of ancient monsters and genealogy.
Check out our top 5 reasons why ‘Magnus Chase’ is perfect for you if you are already in love with ‘Percy Jackson’.
- You get to meet a whole new cast of gods.
The Percy Jackson series dealt with the gods of Greek mythology – Zeus, Poseidon, Apollo are just a fraction of this ancient cast – but Magnus Chase takes a step away from that. In this brand new series, readers get to explore the world of Nordic mythology – and yes, that includes everyone’s bad boy, Loki. How can you resist?
2. Magnus Chase is Annabeth’s cousin.
And if Magnus is anywhere near as badass, brave and daring as Annabeth, we can’t wait to see what he gets up to. Plus, how could you not want to explore the ever-expanding world Rick Riordan has created – and how it links back to Percy and all our faves?
3. Get ready for more world-saving adventures.
With an awesome, heroic storyline plotted out, set to rival the original Percy Jackson series, we’re ready to dive straight back into this world gods and monsters. Check out the official trailer below to get an idea of what you’re in store for.
4. More awesome story-telling from Rick Riordan.
You can expect Rick Riordan’s characteristic humour and fast-paced scenes that kept you turning pages back when you read Percy Jackson for the first time.
Check out Rick Riordan reading the first page of ‘Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer’ to see what we mean.
5. That cover.
— wanderer ♔ (@pagesofescape) November 25, 2015
Admit it. You were thinking of buying it even before we gave you these 4 excellent reasons and you saw that it had 4 stars on Goodreads – just because the cover is fierce and fiery and absolutely glorious.
It’s okay. We’re weak for book covers too.
More bookish articles?
- VIDEO: Travel back to September and attend Patrick Ness’ Waterstones Picadilly event with us
- INTERVIEW with Ryan Graudin: WWII, wolf-dogs and the inspiration behind ‘Wolf By Wolf’
- Become a published author with Times/Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition
- Q&A with Holly Smale: “I actually begged to write ‘All Wrapped Up’”
- MP! EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Everything you need to know about ‘Never Evers’ by Tom Ellen & Lucy Ivison
- MP! Review: why Geek Girl: All Wrapped Up should be on your Christmas List
- Q&A with Queen of Teen, James Dawson: Hogwarts Houses, 2016 reads & advice on coming out
- Read an extract from Jennifer E. Smith’s ‘Hello Goodbye’ RIGHT NOW – plus, find out how to get your hands on a signed copy
- Find out what booktubers are saying about Rick Riordan’s explosive new read, ‘Magnus Chase’