Lisa Heathfield’s stunning ‘Paper Butterflies’ sees struggling protagonist, June, seeking refuge and stability in her friend’s family.
Blister’s house is fun, warm and everything June’s once was. And we know we would become honorary members in a heartbeat. Here’s some other YA families we’d love to be part of too…1. The Weasleys. Naturally. This big, ramshackle, rowdy household is a warm ball of chaos that we would KILL to be part of.
Plus. Food and woolly jumpers for days.
2. Lola’s dads from ‘Lola and the Boy Next Door’ by Stephanie Perkins. These two may be a tad overprotective, but that’s what makes them so endearing, right? Always supportive, and forever keeping Lola rooted in the real world. They’re funny too!
We <3 them.
3. The Garrets from ‘My Life Next Door’ by Huntley Fitzpatrick.
A house full. This is one BIG family. More organised chaos. But everyone has their own role and part to play. If you’re an only child then reading this book will probs make you ache for a million siblings.
Or maybe not.
4. The Oppenheimer’s from ‘The Square Root of Summer’ by Harriet Reuter Hapgood. A quirky, heartwarming kind of family unit. Not only is Gottie’s brother a catsuit-wearing LEGEND…
…the ties they have with each other, both present and passed, is beautiful.
5. Blue Sargent’s crew from ‘The Raven Boys’ by Maggie Stiefvater. Another house packed to the rafters with dubious family members and bonkers living arrangements. But it works. And who doesn’t want to experience a family full of clairvoyants?
For a little while, at least.
6. Blister’s family from Lisa Heathfield’s ‘Paper Butterflies’. In this collection of humans, June finds some kind of normality and acceptance and security. It’s everything she wished she had, or still had. A refuge from the shitty situation she’s currently in.
It’s painfully beautiful. And as her relationship with Blister and his family grows, you can’t help but fall hard for them. <3
Want to see for yourself? You can get your copy of ‘Paper Butterflies’ right here.
Who are YOUR favourite families from YA? Tweet us @maximumpopbooks
- QUIZ: It’s finally here! Find out which quote from ‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child’ you are based on your birthday
- Share your most #Unconventional YALC moment and get your name in Maggie Harcourt’s brand new book!
- WIN! A signed copy of one of the most important books you’ll read all year!
- Bookstagrammer floralsndragons makes this clothing item a staple of her photos and we’re obsessed!
- Tune in throughout the day as we reveal the new covers for every book in Darren Shan’s ‘Zom-B’ series!
- I tried culling my bookshelf…and ended up with more books?!