It’s time for another reviewer round-up here at MP! and we’re spying on the reviews of Sammie at Bookshelves and Biros and Maia at Maia and A Little Moore as they chat about Lisa Heathfield”s ‘Paper Butterflies’.
Maia had read and loved Lisa’s first book ‘Seed’ so much that she wasn’t sure how ‘Paper Butterflies’ could possibly live up to it, “but ‘Paper Butterflies’ is an absolute triumph.” Sammie agreed saying that it’s “one of the most punch-you-in-the-stomach-powerful pieces of literature I’ve read this year”. Can’t argue with that, right?
June’s story of abuse can be a hard one to read at times. Sammie: “There were a few points where I had to pop the book down for a second or two before continuing, because it made me want to cry.” Maia felt exactly the same way: “This isn’t an easy read and I can imagine this level of intensity isn’t for everyone.”
This is the kind of novel that relies on characters and for Sammie “the characters are nuanced and compelling”.
Maia took refuge in something else while reading: “Heathfield’s beautiful writing also saves the reader from becoming completely depressed: her voice is unique and the descriptions are vivid and elegant. I just want to eat up all her words.” Sammie agreed: “Coupled with strong pacing and sharply poetic prose, I couldn’t put it down. ”
There was also a lot of love for Blister and his family and Maia found that “June is happiest with Blister and his family, who give her hope and remind her that she is important and special.” Sammie loved that “Blister and his family are written with warmth, which contrasts starkly to the way that June’s home life is portrayed.”
A final thought from Sammie: “This book could open the floodgates and save someone’s life. ”
Well. You’ll be wanting a copy for yourself now! Go on. You deserve it. Buy it here!
Read it already? Tell us what you thought at @maximumpopbooks!
- All the reasons why ‘Under Rose-Tainted Skies’ author Louise Gornall totally rocks it!
- Weekly releases: 4th-10th July
- Lisa Heathfield’s ‘Paper Butterflies’ is so gorgeous, bookstagram just can’t get enough!
- Quiz: which is your “I’m totally over it” song?
- Watch: Estelle Laure, author of the gorgeous ‘This Raging Light’, play heads up! With Luke Franks!
- Here are the books we’ll be racing to add to our shelves in July!
- Most people have only read half of these YA novels featuring mental health
- Siobhan Curham is taking over @maximumpopbooks on Thursday 7th!
- WIN! 1 of 10 Harry Potter Magical Places & Characters Colouring books + download a double page spread!