The wicked step-mother pops up in different forms in our fave books. Maybe she’s low-key evil, but mostly she’s a hateful creature.
June in ‘Paper Butterflies’ has serious first-hand experience with horrible step-mothers. Her story is one intensely emotional rollercoaster and we don’t mind admitting that at times we wanted to step in and do something.
Here we list the wickedest and most sly evil stepmother characters in literature. Enjoy?
1. Dolores Umbridge from ‘Harry Potter’.
No one on this earth would want this woman within ten yards of their house let alone inside it. Unless, of course, you had invited her in to kick her shins.
2. Aunt Reed from ‘Jane Eyre’ by Charlotte Bronte.
If being orphaned is bad enough, you then have to suffer the wrath of this wretch? We wish we could say Aunt Reed has some kind of epiphany, but she doesn’t. Not really.
3. The Queen from ‘The Sin Eater’s Daughter’ by Melinda Salisbury
#nospoilers but this woman is a sly, selfish piece of work. Twylla is dragged away to live in a castle, away from the mother who brought her up… and she’s forced into a new way of living.
4. The Chastities from ‘Only Ever Yours’ by Louise O’Neill
Is it fair to call these women ‘evil’? Not sure. But they are definitely part of the problem, ‘taking care’ of the younger girls isn’t exactly how we’d describe it.
*shudders* This book still makes us want to curl up into the fetal position…
5. Cersei Lannister from ‘Game of Thrones’ series by George R. R. Martin
We wouldn’t want this woman as our own blood-mother let alone married in. And who knows how many children she is actually the step-mother of?! Poor swines. Sure, she’s fiercely loyal. But let’s not forget who’s number one in her mind…
6. Miss Minchin from ‘A Little Princess’ by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
The harshest headmistress ever? She’s nasty to pretty much everyone she comes into contact with, whether through manipulation or straight-up cruelty. Don’t mess with her.
Who else would you add to this list? Tweet us @maximumpopbooks
- MP! Exclusive: Win a signed copy of Amy Alward’s ‘The Potion Diaries’ signed by Zoella and Amy!
- WIN! Cast your vote to win an incredible Clare Furniss bundle posted straight to your door
- It’s time for battle! Will the UK or North America win the ‘We Are All Made of Molecules’ cover wars?
- WIN! A #YALC tote bag full of swag and signed by 30 authors, including VE Schwab, Michael Grant and Patrick Ness? Heck yes!
- 11 iconic clapbacks you’ll want to use against any bully
- The Weasleys, The Garretts and 4 other YA families that need to adopt us…like now