The #ownvoices movement is an incredibly important one, especially in the world of YA publishing.
To not see yourself in books, to not see the light at the end of the runnel, to not see acceptance, love and friendship is devastating. #ownvoices novels change that and show these things from a point of experience.
Here are some amazing YA #ownvoices novels around at the moment, and those to come.
‘Run’ by Kody Keplinger
(Released July 14th)
Like her main character, Agnes, Kody is legally blind.
‘If I Was Your Girl’ by Meredith Russo
Amanda is a trans girl written by a trans woman and wrote for her confused 14-year-old self, desperate to be told it’d all be okay.
‘George’ by Alex Gino
Alex has been fighting for trans and queer activism for over 20 years and wanted to share their experiences through Melissa.
‘The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian’ by Sherman Alexie
Sherman Alexie is a Spokane/Coeur d’Alene Indian and grew up on a Reservation just like Junior.
‘If You Could Be Mine’ by Sara Farizan
Sara is the daughter of Iranian immigrants and the mix of her ethnicity and sexuality made her grow up feeling different, just like Sahar.
‘Under Rose Tainted Skies’ by Louise Gornall
(Released July 7th)
Just like Norah, Louise suffers from mental health struggles and she’s a huge ambassador for all things mental health.
Share your favourite #ownvoices novels with us @maximumpopbooks!
- If nothing else, #ACOMAF has taught us that readers are serious about their ‘ships…
- Have you read these 11 “summer” books? ‘Tis the season!
- Quiz: Which Ministry of Magic department should you work for?
- Get Rosalind Jana’s look! This girl is a model, a writer, a student and has a wicke sense of style!
- News: Spinster club novella, ‘… And a Happy New Year!’ coming in November
- My Kinda Book Club’ #ThisIsWhoIAm tour kicked last night at Waterstones Piccadilly!
- Quiz: Which Rupert from ‘Kill the Boy Band’ will you kidnap… the heart of?
- WIN! 1 of 5 ‘Doctor Who’ book bundles!
- Animated Cover Reveal: ‘The Witch’s Kiss’ by Katharine and Elizabeth Corr has a super cool new cover!
- A Guide to Literary Paris