Last night, One Direction took the stage in San Diego, California, kicking off the North American leg of the On the Road Again Tour with the first of two dozen shows. To try and pass the painful forty-eight hours before their next concert, let’s reminisce over the best moments from Qualcomm Stadium.
1. First thing’s first—Harry’s epic wipeout when he tried to drag his microphone stand across the stage with him and it got caught on something. “Physically I’m fine, but emotionally I’m bruised,” he assured his concerned bandmates. Niall and Liam shuddered as they remembered their own on-stage falls. It’s a good thing California is such a forgiving state that never mistreats celebrities.
2. ‘Spaces’ and ‘Act My Age’ were added to the set list (sorry ‘Strong,’ but somebody had to be sacrificed). ‘Spaces’ may have showcased the boys’ beautiful voices, but ‘Act My Age’ let out Niall’s true inner Irish step-dancer.
3. New merchandise was out! Off to sell my soul. (Is that license plate street legal? Asking for a friend.)
4. Liam used a fan’s phone to call her mum. When she asked if she was speaking with Harry, Liam laughed and said it’s hard to tell them apart because they’re all British. Cue insulted Niall.
5. Continuing on with 1D’s new humanitarian mission, Harry told everyone not to go to Sea World. (Remember his Dolphin Project shirt from Miami last year?)
6. Harry changed a note in ‘No Control’ and the angels cried.
7. Groups of fans were reportedly sprinting down the side of the highway to get to the concert on time. Southern California traffic must be as bad as they say!
8. Harry’s hair did this. We’ll be in contact with lawyers shortly to see if it’s even legal.
9. A group of Louis’s friends threw water at him from the side of the stage, so Liam jumped in to help Louis defeat them. Bandmates > friends.
10. Harry did his blowing kisses thing we love so much.
11. Louis thanked everyone who was involved in Project No Control.
12. And Louis did this awkward little dance next to Harry. No, we don’t know what it was either, but it seemed worth mentioning based on cuteness alone.
One Direction continue on their tour with a show in Santa Clara, California tomorrow night!