Josephine Angelini invites you into a world of parallel universes, magic and adventure. Or rather, as we here at MP! found, she reaches out and pulls you through the door and into a story of blazing fire and thermodynamic magic. This international bestseller shows little sign of losing her touch.
We here at MP! can almost guarantee that the main thing you will come away from this series thinking about is Angelini’s rare breed of magic – a science/old school ‘Crucible’ hybrid. Having her story structured around a rigid school of magic, rather than the airy, limitless enchantments which often feature in fantasy novels, is a real strength to the novel.
If you’re not so much into science, you may find the explanations of how Angelini’s brand of witchcraft a little tiresome, but she rarely draws the information out longer than needs be. Overall, it’s clever and unique – a real highlight.
Another strength of this novel was the protagonist, Lily, and how well developed she was. She stood out in a market crowded by heroines in magical landscapes with her iron will and her consistent interest in physics. From the environmentalist t-shirts to the thermodynamic pondering, we believed in her. And we liked her.
This story is twisted with different perspectives and secrets, and really keeps you guessing. Trust us when we say that this is the sort of series you buy all at once. Once you finish the last page of the first book, you might find yourself feeling a little clueless, a sort of stunned “what-is-going-on-I-must-know” feeling, but that’s normal. It’s all part of the ‘Worldwalker’ experience.
You’ll find world-building is really where Josephine Angelini finds her talent. Fleshed out, well thought through, with all the details you may not have even thought of, you never doubt the parallel universe Lily travels to. It takes a little time, however, to get used to the pseudo-medieval/futuristic society she has cultivated. The two ideas seem to juxtapose, but once you get comfortable with it, it really comes together.
Our best tip for reading the ‘Worldwalker’ series? Get lost in it. And let Angelini work her magic.
More bookish articles?
- Joe Sugg’s new book is the fastest-selling graphic novel EVER?
- Leigh Bardugo reads from Six of Crows – PRE RELEASE DAY. BE STILL OUR BEATING HEARTS.
- Benjaminoftomes is starting up his own micro-publishing house – the first book of which you can pre-order HERE
- Get a taste fro ‘Demon Road’ with this FREE chapter
- Help us interview Nicholas Sparks 28/09
- Getting to know Derek Landy’s Twitter: “Just spent 3 minutes standing in a pitch-black bathroom trying to convince my girlfriend @Patrick_Ness‘s new book glows in the dark.”
- Pick your next read from author Josephine Angelini’s recommendations – including Winner’s Curse, Harry Potter and the Harper Hall trilogy
- Check out author Amy Lukavics’ casting for her new terrifying read, ‘Daughters Unto Devils’ with Evan Peters, Ansel Elgort and MORE
- New releases, jewellery, stationary and EXCLUSIVE items – Illumicrate is our new fave quarterly box subscription service