We’ve seen lots of cases of pop stars subjected to some truly horrible stuff through social media. Most notably, Normani Kordei has been forced to leave Twitter because of racist abuse she’s been receiving from individuals.
Trolling is absolutely wrong and should be accepted by anyone. But fortunately, there are some things you can do if you’re a victim of trolling.
We’ve put together this absolutely necessary guide on what do do if you’re being trolled on social media and how you can get over it like an absolute boss.
1) Ignore: Your immediate reaction may be to respond to trolls. Don’t give in; take a moment before you end up doing or saying something you regret.
2) Try reasoning calmly: Sometimes it’s worth just asking the troll why they’re doing it. In some cases, it can just be a misunderstanding and you may be able to move on before it escalates into something worse.
3) Block: If you’re constantly getting messages, it’s better to just block the user so they cannot see your page or contact you.
4) Report: Even if you don’t block the user, its probably a good idea for you to report the user. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat; they all have similar procedures when it comes to reporting so follow their instructions on what to do.
5) Tell someone: It’s worth letting a parent, guardian or even a friend know that this is happening before it gets out of control. They may also be able to monitor the situation and report the user too.
6) Step away: If you’ve done everything you can, it might be a good time to step away from social media. And if you’re thinking of doing that, we’ve got you covered on that too.
Hopefully, this should be all you need to get rid of those pesky trolls. If you’ve got any other solutions, feel free to let us know @maximumpop