We here at MP! couldn’t be more excited to hear who’s made the shortlist for the first ever BBC Young Writers Award on Saturday, especially after hearing what two of the competition’s 3 judges had to say about the surprisingly high quality of writing submitted.
Samantha Shannon, author of bestselling ‘The Bone Season’, spoke exclusively to MP!: “It was such a pleasure to be a judge for this award with Matt and Alice, although it was no easy feat to narrow the shortlist down to five, as there were so many strong voices among the fifty entries we got to read. All of the shortlisted writers should be incredibly proud of themselves — not only for the strength of their stories, but for having the courage to put their work out there to be judged in the first place.”
Alice Levine was also deeply impressed by the many short stories which were sent in, telling us, “This has been such an exciting experience. The long list of stories was so diverse and packed with writers with unique styles and interesting subject matter.
The authors of the 5 shortlisted pieces are commonly linked by their maturity, originality and talent. As judges we were really bowled over by the quality. There are definitely writers of the future on this list. I can’t wait to read what they all write next.”
Have you entered the BBC Young Writers Award, or looking forward to the announcement on the 3rd? Let us know @maximumpopbooks.
“This is the first year of the BBC Young Writers’ Award, which invites 14 to 18 years olds living in the United Kingdom to submit short stories of up to 1,000 words. The Award was launched as part of the tenth anniversary celebrations of the BBC National Short Story Award with Book Trust, and aims to inspire and encourage the next generation of writers.”
More bookish articles?
- MP! talks to Nicholas Sparks: “there’s no formula for a love story“
- Check out author Amy Lukavics’ casting for her new terrifying read, ‘Daughters Unto Devils’ with Evan Peters, Ansel Elgort and MORE
- New releases, jewellery, stationary and EXCLUSIVE items – Illumicrate is our new fave quarterly box subscription service
- MP! Review: The Worldwalker series blasts you into a new world you won’t want to leave
- 5 reasons you need to get yourself to Book It! – YA Festvial 2-11th October
- 2 creepy stories you can scare yourself silly with this Halloween – Amy Lukavics approved!
- Start your book right with tips from Samantha Shannon, bestselling author & BBC Young Writers Award judge