Let’s face it. Some of us were meant to be bright eyed and bushy tailed in the mornings, and the rest of us were… not so much.
But was there a way to change that? We took advice from all over the internet, as well as from word of mouth to try and make us jump out of bed with a spring in our steps!
1. Go hard or go home. What better way to start a Monday than jumping straight into your workout gear and going for a run?
Ok. Let’s be clear. Running has not necessarily been on our agenda for many moons. So when we say this was TORTURE, we mean it. Sure, we could have walked the dog at 6am instead, but where’s the challenge in that?
Day 1 – #FAIL – we felt like ass for the rest of the day.
2. Drink a pint of ice cold water. From one extreme to the other, this should have been simple right?
Wrong. DAYUM! That was cold on the ol’ gnashers. And a little painful to down in one. However, we can’t deny we felt VERY awake after. Would recommend drinking it slower in future…
Day 2 – #WIN – It wasn’t pleasant at the time, but very revitalizing!
3. Preparation, preparation, preparation. If you do a cursory Google search for tips on getting up better in the morning, they will all say something about preparing yourself the night before. So suddenly this has become homework? Gaw.
Clothes out ready to go. Bag packed for the day. Lunch ready in the fridge. Bathed and ready with enough time to read a little (because Bill Gates says so). And then ban phones and other bright screens for at least an hour before you try and sleep.
Day 3 – #WIN – However, not sure that in the long-term we could go without checking that Twitter feed before bed. Or playing ‘Candy Crush’. Or, you know, texting.
4. Dancing to an upbeat song straight out of the gate.
So, naturally, we changed our alarm tone to ‘The Fox’ by Ylvis…
Day 4 – #WINFAIL – This was great for the first 30 seconds. After that… Annoying. And, well, it was 6am. We still wanted our bed. Points for the fun factor though!
5. Listen to a motivating speech. Great idea! But… If you type in “motivational speech” into YouTube it’s all dudes. Almost without exception.
But you can always rely on TEDx to give you what you need.
Day 5 – #WIN – A massive win for this one. Feeling inspired. Feeling good. Feeling motivated. BRING IT ON, WORLD!
This is definitely a case of trial and error and finding out what works for YOU! Would it continue to work in the long term? Who knows. One thing is for sure, we’re not setting our alarms for 6am EVER AGAIN!