Summer might just be our favourite season ever. Iced coffees, shorts, bikinis, hitting the beach, going for long drives with your best mates – really, it’s your annual excuse to have fun – and a lot of it.
Understandably though, not every day of summer is going to be a 24/7 party, and in those moments, you’re going to need the perfect, summertime read to keep you in the mood for late nights and beach bumming.
Morgan Matson, author of ‘Since You’ve Been Gone’ and ‘Second Chance Summer’ understands our enthusiasm for these precious three months of the year, and has helped us find some awesome summery reads for those lazier days.
Take notes, summertime fans and book nerds.
I’m a huge fan of summer books, and my favourite summer reads are also some of my favourite books of all time. You definitely want something you can take to the beach or on a car trip, something that’s totally immersive. Sometimes, I’ll find myself reading these books in the middle of winter…just because I want that summer feeling back again!
Here they are, in no particular order (I couldn’t choose!)
- Nantucket Blue, Leila Howland
- Open Road Summer by Emery Lord
- Along for the Ride, Sarah Dessen (couldn’t just put one Dessen book on there…she’s the Queen of Summer Books!
- This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
- The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo (sometimes it’s fun to read about wintry, fictionalized Russia in the height of summer!)
- Anything by Sophie Kinsella (but especially I’ve Got Your Number and Twenties Girl)
- The Penderwicks Series, Jeanne Birdsall
- The Summer Trilogy (The Summer I Turned Pretty, We’ll Always Have Summer, It’s Not Summer Without You) by Jenny Han
- The Truth About Forever, Sarah Dessen
- Rules of Summer, Joanna Philbin