With YA Shot literally breathing down our necks (Eek! We can’t wait!), we put some questions to one of our fave
…authors, to talk everything ‘The Scarecrow Queen’, writing habits, Halloween, plus WHAT’S NEXT?! Secrets, secrets.
1. Can you give us any sneaky hints about The Scarecrow Queen?
Not really! I can tell you I’m happy with it, and that it’s my favourite of the three books. I’m sure there are going to be people who aren’t thrilled with how it ends, but it’s the ending I’ve had in my mind since the beginning, and, to my mind, the only way it could finish.
I can tell you that both Twylla and Errin narrate sections of it, and that there is violence, and darkness, and surprises, and heroics, and sacrifices, and love.
2. Did you have any weird habits while writing this book, or any of your others?
No! I’m a really un-exciting writer. I like to write in silence – no music, or even the chatter of other people. I’m very easily distracted, so I have to isolate myself somewhat to concentrate. The flipside of that is that once I’m in the zone I forget about everything else – eating, drinking, needing the loo. I’ll keep going until I get a headache from being dehydrated and then I’ll realise it’s been 9 hours and I’m in a bit of a mess. I don’t think that’s weird though, so much as stupid.
3. What’s next for you – more Sin Eater’s Daughter, another series?
I think I’m done with this part of the Sin Eater world for now. That’s not to say I won’t go back to Lormere, Tallith and Tregellan in the future, but at the moment I’m ready to move on and do something new… And I expect there will be more on that sooner or later, but I’m quite superstitious and I don’t like talking about projects I’m serious about too soon. I feel as though once I start talking about them, and sharing them, I start to lose them, so in these early stages I like to keep them to myself.
4. What are you most excited about for YA Shot?
Attending the other author’s events! I love these big conventions that have such a wealth of authors attending – I get to see friends who live too far away for me to see often, I get to listen to writers I respect and admire talking about their work, and I get introduced to new stories and authors that I might not know about.
5. What are you dressing up as for Halloween?
I’m spending it with some friends, and we’re going to cook and have a themed movie night, so I’ll be dressed as me in knitwear. Lots of knitwear. And, to be honest, I’m spooky all year round, I don’t really need a costume.
Well said! Over to you MP!ers, are you excited for ‘The Scarecrow Queen’? Which cover from the series is your fave?
Also, if you’re attending YA Shot, let us know here!
- 5 fanfics we’re desperate to read after having our minds blown by Cursed Child – spoiler warning!
- WIN! Get magical this Halloween with the ultimate Harry Potter colouring bundle
- 11 books set in summer you should read all year round
- We wish we had a friend like this! This girl’s just bought 100 copies to share this wonderful book
- Would you survive the wetlands?