‘Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer’ is Rick Riordan’s first book in the, at least three book long, Magnus Chase series and the first book to feature Norse mythology and the Gods of Asgard. Find out how MP!er Aislinn thought it compared to Riordan’s previous books right here.
Name: Aislinn OConnell
Have you read anything by Rick Riordan before? If not, are you more likely to now? / If you have, how does this compare? I’ve read all of the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus series – I would rank this as being maybe better than the PJO series, but not as good as HoO.
If you had to recommend this book to a friend, what would be the best thing you’d tell them? e.g. writing, humour, characterisation, plot etc. I’d recommend it for the humour and the mythology! There were lots of irreverent asides and observations, and Magnus’ snarky inner monologue is just like Percy Jackson’s – clearly Rick’s preferred style of narrator. Also the chapter titles elicited some proper laughs (which I had to hide when I was on the train!)
Did you have a favourite character? Tell us why! Samirah al-Abbas, Magnus’ Valkyrie, is my favourite character, because she’s great! Torn between duty to her family and embracing her Norse heritage, complicated by her impending marriage, her obligations as a Hijabi girl, and the fact that she’s Loki’s daughter, she’s the most complex and interesting character in the whole book. Plus, diversity points, and she has awesome powers – what’s not to like?
What was your impression of Norse mythology before reading this book? Sadly, my previous affiliation with Norse mythology was nothing more than the Marvel cinematic universe, so this was a nice introduction to a variety of Norse mythological creatures!
Can you remember your favourite line or scene? My favourite line was actually the title of chapter 48 – ‘Hearthstone passes out even more than Jason Grace’ (though I have no idea who that is).
Rate out of 10. Eight out of ten!
Do you have any opinions about the Magnus Chase series? Tweet us at @maximumpopbooks.
- MP!er Christa casts Alex Pettyfer as the perfect Cam for Lauren Kate’s ‘Fallen’ series.
- MP!er Tayler stayed up way too late reading because she needed to see how ‘My Life Next Door’ developed.
- Check out the teaser trailer for the new, life-action, Roald Dahl, BFG film.
- Which lovable misfit from James Dawson’s ‘All of the Above’ are you?
- A Q&A and a sneak at the sketches of Waterstones Book of the Year winner, Coralie Bickford-Smith.
- Read the first chapter of the ‘Half Bad’ finale, ‘Half Lost’.
- 7 things you might have missed in the ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them’ teaser trailer.
- Walker Books just created your new favourite bookstagram account: Inkslingers.
- Check out the new cover for Cecilia Ahern’s brand new YA thriller
- ‘Throne of Glass’ Colouring Book: what we hope to see in this September 2016 release
- Can you guess what DIMILY author Estelle Maskame did to the first boy she kissed? Find out here