Amanda Hardy is the new girl at school. She has a secret. At her old school, she used to be called Andrew. And secrets always have a way of getting out.
‘If I Was Your Girl’ is a strong, important and gorgeous debut about love, for yourself and others, and we need you to read it.
1. This is an #ownvoices novel. Meredith Russo is a transgender woman writing about a transgender girl and that’s what YA needs. So very, very badly.
2. Small town setting. Small American towns are notorious for being judgmental, especially of new people. This Tennessee town is perfectly brought to life.
3. The switches between past and present. We get to see Amanda when she was Andrew and as she is now.
4. Swoony romance. Oh, come on, you know you love it too!
5. These experiences are one that everyone needs to read about. Fact.
Read it already? Let us know what you thought at @maximumpopbooks!
- Writing YA: Edit and Polish
- The full YALC schedule has been released! Wanna see?
- QUIZ: Are these Taylor Swift lyrics or classic novel quotes?
- Win! 1 of 10 copies of ‘If I Was Your Girl’ by Meredith Russo
- Go literary time travelling with booksandquills
- Quiz: We bet you haven’t read all of Jacqueline Wilson’s books!
- Call yourself a fan of LGBT+ YA? We bet you haven’t read all of these…
- A Guide to Literary Brighton
- You Review: We need 20 MP!ers to read and review ‘Paper Butterflies’ by Lisa Heathfield
- June is bringing a boat load of amazing new releases – these are the ones we’re going crazy for!