‘If I Was Your Girl’ by Meredith Russo is “a book about loving yourself and being loved for who you really are.” And really, isn’t that what we all want?
Here we have brought together some of our favourites in trans and gender exploratory YA lit. Your TBR will hate us, but you’ll definitely find some good reads here:
1. ‘Beautiful Music for Ugly Children’ by Kirstin Conn-Mills: “When you think about it, I’m like a record. Elizabeth is my A side, the song everybody knows, and Gabe is my B side–not heard as often, but just as good.”
2. ‘George’ by Alex Gino: “George thinks she’ll have to keep this a secret forever. Then her teacher announces that their class play is going to be Charlotte’s Web. George really, really, REALLY wants to play Charlotte. But the teacher says she can’t even try out for the part . . . because she’s a boy.”
3. ‘For Today I Am a Boy’ by Kim Fu: “The exalted only son in the middle of three daughters, Peter was the one who would finally embody his immigrant father’s ideal of power and masculinity. But Peter has different dreams: he is certain he is a girl.”
4. ‘The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson: “Two boys. Two Secrets.”
5. ‘Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out’ by Susan Kuklin: “Author and photographer Susan Kuklin met and interviewed six transgender or gender-neutral young adults and used her considerable skills to represent them thoughtfully and respectfully before, during, and after their personal acknowledgment of gender preference.”
6. ‘If I Was Your Girl’ by Meredith Russo: “Amanda has a secret. At her old school, she used to be called Andrew. And secrets always have a way of getting out.”
Which is your favourite? Is there a book we should have included? Tweet us @maximumpopbooks
And you can get your hands on a copy of ‘If I Was Your Girl’ right here.
- Join CJ Flood for a spot of nightwandering this June
- Meredith Russo’s ‘If I Was Your Girl’ is #ownvoices – do you really need another reason to pick it up?
- The full YALC schedule has been released! Wanna see?
- QUIZ: Are these Taylor Swift lyrics or classic novel quotes?
- Quiz: We bet you haven’t read all of Jacqueline Wilson’s books!
- Call yourself a fan of LGBT+ YA? We bet you haven’t read all of these…
- A Guide to Literary Brighton
- June is bringing a boat load of amazing new releases – these are the ones we’re going crazy for!