We’ve been dabbling with audiobooks for a while now, but this week we got serious.
We wanted to know if it made us read more than just reading a physical book.
When we began this little challenge, the state of our current audiobooks were:
‘Middlemarch’ by George Eliot – 4 hours and 26 minutes remaining.
‘The Little Friend’ by Donna Tartt – 20 hours and 45 minutes left to read.
Managed to sneak in 40 minutes of ‘Middlemarch’ while working in the morning. Then we listened to ‘The Little Friend’ in the evening when we we were too pooped from YALC to read properly.
Read: 130 pages
Only managed two chapters of ‘Middlemarch’ in the morning – far too much concentration required… But we made up for it by listening to about 60 pages of ‘The Little Friend’ later in the day.
Read: 80 pages
Read: 0 pages
We finished ‘Middlemarch’! This is quite possibly our biggest bookish achievement of the year, you know. Have SEEN how big that book is. We listened to the final 90 minutes while writing reports.
Read: 40 pages
We haven’t listened to anything today – we’re still revelling in the triumph of taking down ‘Middlemarch’.
Read: 0 pages
‘Middlemarch’ by George Eliot – Start: 4 hours and 26 minutes; End: 0
‘The Little Friend’ by Donna Tartt – Start: 20 hours and 45 minutes; End: 16 hours and 20 minutes.
We think listening to an audiobook was a total success! We read 250 pages/9 hours more than we originally would have by listening when we were too tired to read, doing chores and filling the silence during boring admin-y tasks. That’s all on top of reading physical books!
Do you listen to audiobooks? Tell us your favourites at @maximumpopbooks!
- MP! Exclusive: Win a signed copy of Amy Alward’s ‘The Potion Diaries’ signed by Zoella and Amy!
- WIN! Cast your vote to win an incredible Clare Furniss bundle posted straight to your door
- It’s time for battle! Will the UK or North America win the ‘We Are All Made of Molecules’ cover wars?
- WIN! A #YALC tote bag full of swag and signed by 30 authors, including VE Schwab, Michael Grant and Patrick Ness? Heck yes!
- The brand new ‘Book Box Club’ reveals its next theme plus all the subscription boxes you should be excited about this summer!
- QUIZ: Can you name the characters in these FictionAlley Harry Potter ships? Some pairings will shock you!
- MP! Exclusive: Be the first to get your hands on SJ Kincaid’s ‘The Diabolic’ – it’s ‘The Hunger Games’ meets ‘Red Queen’!
- ‘Sing’ for your sorrow? The 6 celebrity break-ups that we’re still not totally over!