It’s a fact universally acknowledged that a bookworm is always in need of more shelf space.
And so book culls become necessary.
the act of ruthlessly pulling books from your selves to pass on to someone else
Step 1: Choose your
After a perusal of our 5 bookcases it became obvious which one we needed to tackle.
And then we got scared and picked a different one instead because getting rid of books is HARD…
Step 2: Be ruthless
“Do you really want to read it?”
“Will you read it again?”
“Is it part of a treasured collection?”
“Why do you have multiple copies? Do you really need more than one?”
If any book got 2 ‘no’ votes – gone. This agonising stage took about an hour of pain and stress.
Step 3: Bye bye books
We’re now left with an unruly pile of books that haven’t made the cut.
It’s strangely satisfying.
Step 4: Shelf space!
And we have space! You can spread your books out, take them out of stacks, reunite series’ and
buy more books! No. That’s what got us into this mess!
Step 5: Whoops…
Shelf space is so lovely. But then a pre-order or two arrives, and some proofs from the publishers. Then you go to YALC and well, just see for yourselves…
Do you cull your shelves? Let us know at @maximumpopbooks!
- QUIZ: It’s finally here! Find out which quote from ‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child’ you are based on your birthday
- Share your most #Unconventional YALC moment and get your name in Maggie Harcourt’s brand new book!
- WIN! A signed copy of one of the most important books you’ll read all year!
- Bookstagrammer floralsndragons makes this clothing item a staple of her photos and we’re obsessed!
- Tune in throughout the day as we reveal the new covers for every book in Darren Shan’s ‘Zom-B’ series!