The girls in Goldy Moldavsky’s ‘Kill the Boy Band’ are gutted when they miss out on tickets to The Ruperts’ intimate Thanksgiving show in New York City. Determined to meet them, they book a room in the hotel the boys are staying at and end up accidentally kidnapping one of them…
But if they had got to go to the concert, they’d need a plan of action. So for those of you building up to your first show, we’ve got some survival tips for you.
- Save up from the moment you get the ticket. It doesn’t have to be much, but the more you save, the more you’ll have to splash out on merch, food and drink, etc.
- Make sure you go to the toilet as many times as you can before the concert if you’ve got general admission.
- Go and get merch in the interval or if you’re not a fan of the support act, that’s the perfect time to go.
- Make sure you have as much room on your phone as possible to take photos and videos.
- Try not to spend the entire concert taking pics and videos – you see them on the screen often enough, time to live in the moment!
- For general admission, the earlier you arrive the closer you’ll be able to get to the stage.
- Portable phone chargers are a godsend, especially if you have an iPhone or phone with a poor battery life.
- See who’s tweeting about your concert and try to make friends – it’s awesome meeting people who love the same music as you!
- Ditch the heels, girls. Comfy shoes will make the entire event comfortable.
- Long hair? Put it up/take a hair bobble because when you’re dancing, you’ll be whipping yourself in the eyes and possibly other people too…
- Dress appropriately. It can get really hot inside the venue so make sure you’re wearing something breathable and comfortable and if it’s cold outside, you can always wear a coat and drop it off in the cloakroom.
- When going to smaller gigs make sure you buy your merch as soon as possible, sometimes they’ll close the stand as soon as the show ends or if it’s past curfew security might not allow it.
- The best view is probably a seated balcony. You won’t be as close but you’ll see all the action on-stage without being stuck behind a tall person or standing for hours.
- First concerts can be daunting but don’t worry about it. Everyone is there to have fun, let loose and fangirl!
Share your best concert tips with us at @maximumpopbooks!
- Quiz: which Hogwarts founder are you?
- Electric monkey are publishing four new books from David Levithan!
- Could Sarah J Maas’s ‘A Court of Mist and Fury’ possibly look any more stunning?
- #TheCrownMP: is the ending to the ‘Selection Series’ everything readers hoped it would be?
- Cover reveal: we’re revealing the cover of Holly Bourne’s ‘What’s a Girl Gotta Do?’ + Win! 1 of 3 proofs!
- ‘The Outliers’ by Kimberly McCreight is as fierce on the outside as it is on the inside, wanna see?