Today marked the first step towards crowning the 2016 Guardian Children Book Prize winner: the long list has been officially released, and in the words of Non Pratt, it’s pretty sexy.
— Brooklyn Non Non (@NonPratt) July 8, 2016
We here at MP! have found out everything you need to know about this list of incredible authors and their beautiful books right here, so you don’t have to:
Who’s on it?
‘Chasing the Stars’, Malorie Blackman
Thanks, Natalie. How thrilled am I?! 😀 https://t.co/7oFwZChwo1
— Malorie Blackman (@malorieblackman) July 8, 2016
‘The Marvels’, Brian Selznick
The Marvels by Brian Selznick! After I finished it I just bawled my eyes out for ages, it's gorgeous. https://t.co/hV9Kkqya9G
— luce skywalker (@thingslucyreads) June 17, 2016
‘Riverkeep’, Martin Stewart
Well, the Dream-Come-True-O-Meter is spewing sparks and flames this morning… Congrats to all the other listees! https://t.co/kTAsc6BSFn
— Martin Stewart (@martinjstewart) July 8, 2016
‘Crongton Knights’, Alex Wheatle
@Natwritesstuff Thank you, Natalie. You're very kind and I feel very honoured to be on such a great list.
— Alex Wheatle (@brixtonbard) July 8, 2016
‘The Smell of Other People’s Houses’, Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock
— Emma Carroll (@emmac2603) July 8, 2016
‘Sweet Pizza’, GR Gemin
we have to go for pizza to celebrate! 🎉🍕
— Katherine Webber (@kwebberwrites) July 8, 2016
‘Hell and High Water’, Tanya Landman
— FelixstoweBookFest (@felixstowebook) July 8, 2016
‘The Bone Sparrow’, Zana Fraillon (out 14th July)
— Helen Thomas (@helenst_) July 8, 2016
David Almond, author of ‘A Song for Ella Grey’ and last year’s winner: “This is a wonderful long list, evidence of the vigorous health of children’s literature today.” (Source)
Kate Saunders, author of ‘Five Children on the Western Front’ and Costa Award winner: “I was so dazzled by the sheer quality of the storytelling that I had to keep reminding myself I was a grown-up.” (Source)
SF Said, author of ‘Varjak Paw’ and ‘Phoenix’: “If you want to read the most exciting new writing in the world today, read this wonderful longlist!” (Source)
More from the judges HERE.
A shortlist of 4 amazing authors will be announced mid-October.
Winner named 17th November 2016 – so mark your calendars, people!
- #everybodyURTS: Time to spread some Twitter cheer – what’s your happy place?
- Celebrating female friendship, finding your place and overcoming your doubts: A Q&A with Siobhan Curham
- Lisa Heathfield’s ‘Paper Butterflies’ is so gorgeous, bookstagram just can’t get enough!
- Quiz: which is your “I’m totally over it” song?
- Predating booktube, Wreck This Journal and having a good mix in books, life and videos: A Q&A with booktuber booksandquills
- Some parts of ‘Under Rose Tainted Skies’ were hard, really hard, for author Louise Gornall to write, find out why in this perf Q&A
- Lisa Heathfield’s ‘Paper Butterflies’ is “one of the most punch-you-in-the-stomach-powerful pieces of literature I’ve read this year”
- Siobhan Curham is taking over @maximumpopbooks on Thursday 7th!
- Watch: Amy Alward take on Heads Up and show off her acting skills with Luke Franks! Can she beat the high score?
- An interview with Jennifer L. Armentrout: ‘The Problem With Forever’ author spills on new fantasy series and kissing scenes