It’s that time of year. School is out for summer, some people have even graduated, and it’s time to get a job. Lucky for you, Miles Teller and Anna Kendrick have come together to produce perhaps the most perfect rom-com, ‘Get A Job’. And, turns out, it’s getting its DVD release Monday 18th July.
Luckier still, we’ve teamed up with Handle Recruitment UK, the leading recruitment agency in the entertainment sector, to bring you some Top CV Tips!
1. Let’s start with the basics — how many pages should it be?
Lbr, you don’t want to read a gazillion pages of someone’s achievements, so why the hell would your potential employer? They’re going to be looking at a lot of CVs, so keep things concise.
Handle advises a maximum of two pages.
2. Formatting – make it #AestheticGoals
Format your CV so that it’s clearly set out, with bolded sub-headings. A paragraph of continuous prose is not appealing for anyone to sift their way through, so use lists and good spacing to keep your CV organised.
Handle advises keeping it simple, but being sure not to take out the details that matter. Keep the font professional, too. Remember, no one likes Comic Sans.
3. What do you want to shout about?
Be loud and proud about your best bits!
Handle advises placing all key info on the front page, including education and experience. The most recent bits and bobs should come first.
4. How do I make my experience sound impressive?
Don’t just state previous roles and institutions of education. Tell your employer a little about what both entailed and the skills those positions have given you and helped grow.
Handle advises answering what you did, how you did it, etc. Keep it to one or two lines.
5. Tailor your CV to the job description.
It might sound like more work, but not every job requires the same set of skills, so you need to sell yourself differently for each CV you hand out. Especially if this isn’t just a part time job, but your DREAM vocation. You gotta go to the ends of the earth to make your CV gleam.
Handle advises making sure you’ve read the job description thoroughly and then think about the ways in which you can highlight how your experience is relevant on your CV.
6. Spellcheck! Grammar check!
You gotta look profesh and we’re sorry to tell you that bad grammar and spelling is no good.
Handle advises being vigorous with avoiding typos. Check, double check and triple check before clicking ‘send’.
7. How do they let you know they want you?
Congrats, you’ve made it through the writing stage. Now, enter the waiting game. But, oh wait… How are they going to get in touch with you if you don’t leave contact details. Rookie mistake.
Handle advises leaving multiple means for them to get a hold of you. Landline and mobile number are great, but don’t be afraid to drop your email in there too. Got a fax machine too? Eh, might as well…
Got it all sussed? Now you can put your feet up with the knowledge you’ve done all you can to land yourself the job and watch a film. Perhaps ‘Get A Job’, which sees Miles Teller and Anna Kendrick, recently made graduates, trying to land that dream job those three gruelling years at college have led up to.
Watch the trailer below and tell us you’re not excited?
Now enter our amazing DVD bundle giveaway, including ‘Get A Job’, by following the instructions in the tweet below. It’s open until 22/07 to 15+ UK only.
The winner is @BUNDLEOFBIEBER. Congratulations!
Tweet us to let us know you’ve entered @maximumpop.
‘Get A Job’ is released on DVD Monday 18th July from Lionsgate Home Entertainment UK.
Expert CV advice provided by Handle Recruitment UK. – connecting our clients with exceptional people who will power their brand. www.handle.co.uk
- Competition opens on 15.07.16 at 3PM GMT.
- Competition closes on 22.07.16 at 9PM GMT.
- Entrants must be aged 15 or over when entering the competition and resident in the UK. The Promoter has the right, at its discretion, to request proof of age and residence to receive the prize. Entrants under 18 must make sure that their parent/guardian have consented to their entry into the competition and to these Terms and Conditions.
- Entry is free of charge.
- Entrants will need access to the internet to enter the competition.
- To enter the competition, entrants must submit the correct answer to the multiple choice question “What are the names of Miles Teller and Anna Kendrick’s characters?” by the competition close date.
- Only one entry per person will be considered.
- Prize for 1 (ONE) winner is the following DVDs:
- – 1 (ONE) copy x Bachelorette DVD
- – 1 (ONE) copy x Get a Job DVD
- – 1 (ONE) copy x She’s Funny That Way DVD
- The Promoter has the right to substitute each item in the prize with an item of equivalent rating and audience in its sole discretion.
- Prize winner will be chosen at random and contacted by a representative from Maximum Pop by email/ telephone provided on entry within 24 hours of the competition closing date.
- Proof of submission shall not be proof of receipt. Entries that are incomplete, incorrectly filled in, illegal, illegible, in the incorrect format or fraudulent or those not received in accordance with these Terms and Conditions shall be deemed invalid and not accepted. The Promoter does not accept any responsibility for technical failures which prevent an entrant from submitting an entry and no responsibility will be accepted by the Promoter for entries lost, corrupted or delayed in transmission.
- If the prize winner fails to respond within 24 hours of notification that they are a winner, the prize will be forfeited and an alternative prize winner will be contacted.
- The Promoter is Lions Gate International (UK) Limited of 5 th Floor, 45 Mortimer Street, London, W1W 8HJ (Company No. 08936180). The competition is run in association with Maximum Pop.
- This competition is not open to employees of Lions Gate International (UK) Limited or Maximum Pop or associated agents of those companies or anyone else professionally connected with this competition.
- The Promoter reserves the right in exceptional circumstances to vary, amend or withdraw this competition on reasonable notice.
- There is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable and no part of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
- The prize may not be sold, offered for sale or used in connection with any other competition or promotion by the prize winner.
- By entering the competition, the prize winner gives consent for their name, contact number and address to be passed to a third party provider for delivery of the prize. Save for the exception above, the Promoter will not pass any personal data to any third party unless required to do so by law or an appropriate regulatory authority.
- The Promoter will not be liable for any delay or failure to deliver the prize caused by the postal/delivery service.
- By entering the competition, entrants are sending their personal information to the Promoter who will at all times process an entrant’s personal data in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and applicable laws.
- To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, the Promoter assumes no liability for any claim, loss or damage arising (whether directly or indirectly).
- The Promoter’s decision is final and binding on the entrants. No
- correspondence will be entered into by the Promoter or those partnered with this competition.
- Entry into the competition constitutes acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- The name of the prize winner will be announced at www.maximumpop.co.uk/get-a-job-giveaway/ and may be obtained for one month after the competition close date by sending a signed handwritten request along with a stamped self-addressed envelope to the Marketing Team, Lionsgate, 5 th Floor, 45 Mortimer Street, London W1W 8HJ and marked with the name ‘Get a Job DVD Bundle Competition Winner’
- These Terms and Conditions will be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.