- Everyone’s favourite guitar-wielding electro chanteuse Ellie Goulding is on the verge of releasing sophomore album Halcyon (which means “calm, tranquil or peaceful”, for those looking to improve their vocabulary), all the while in the midst of a very uncalm period of world tours and global chart-topping success.
- The new single, ‘Anything Could Happen’, takes Ellie’s brand of electropop and gives it a uplifting, trippy and slightly gritty twist. Whilst not as instant as ‘Starry Eyed’, it’s a grower that sounds quite inspirational (not ‘The Edge of Glory’ levels of inspirational, but let’s face it, what is?).
- Ellie, who has long been dating dubstep wunderkind Skrillex, describes Halcyon as a breakup record. As she promises “tribal and anthemic” tunes on an album that’s said to be “more pop”, we’re eager to hear the poptastic treats she has in store.
- Miss Goulding also says the album is a progression from dark to light as she moves from said breakup into something new. Aww. (We reckon Radio 1’s Greg James may be former beau who inspired the album!)
- The video for ‘Anything Could Happen’ is suitably weird and epic in equal measures. Our Ellie is involved in a car crash, wears some nice flowing robes, does sad, has a nosebleed and becomes a mythical creature. Can’t help but feel she’s been taking notes from Gaga’s ‘You and I’ video (in a good way – mermaids are gonna big next year, we promise).
Let’s take a look at the vid!