Congratulations on having written Waterstones’ Book of the Year! How did you feel to have ‘The Fox and the Star’ given such a great award? Thank you. I feel so honoured and touched that ‘Fox’ was so well loved by the book sellers at Waterstones that it won! It is just wonderful.
Can you describe ‘The Fox and the Star’ to our readers in the length of a tweet? Fox’s world is turned upside down when his only friend Star disappears. Themes: love, loss and learning to accept change.
You’ve designed so many lovely covers for books, but how did it feel to write the book this time? Terrifying, then ok for a bit, then terrifying again! There was a lot to learn in a short space of time so I had to hibernate from the world and live in my imaginary forest with ‘Fox’. Everything I had learnt about covers definitely came in useful when making the book. But making narrative illustrations and telling a story was a whole new learning curve. A steep one, that I still want to learn lots more about.
We’re absolutely in love with the clothbound series you did for Penguin Classics – our favourite was definitely ‘Alice In Wonderland’. Do you have a favourite design? I do love ‘Alice’. It makes such a lovely gift. My other favourite is ‘Dracula’ with its garlic flowers weaving their way around the book cover to make sure that Dracula cannot escape at night when the book’s on my bed side table.
What advice would you give to someone who wants to create beautiful covers as a career? Follow your dreams, do what you love and find your niche and run with it.
Finally, because we all want to know where the magic happens, send us a picture of where you create.
We also got a sneak peak at some of Coralie’s sketches for ‘The Fox and the Star’. Check out where this beautiful book started below:
More bookish articles?
- INTERVIEW with Ryan Graudin: WWII, wolf-dogs and the inspiration behind ‘Wolf By Wolf’
- Become a published author with Times/Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition
- Q&A with Holly Smale: “I actually begged to write ‘All Wrapped Up’”
- MP! EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Everything you need to know about ‘Never Evers’ by Tom Ellen & Lucy Ivison
- Read the first chapter of the ‘Half Bad’ finale, ‘Half Lost’
- 7 things you might have missed in the ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them’ teaser trailer
- Get a sneak peak inside Waterstones’ Book of the Year: ‘The Fox and the Star’
- Walker Books just your new favourite bookstagram account: Inkslingers
- Check out the cover for Cecilia Ahern’s new YA thriller, ‘Flawed’