The trials and tribulations of being a bookworm are MANY. We’re basically a species constantly filled with panic.
But what are the biggest bookish worries us bookworms face? Get ready, we’re about to make you anxious.
1. Mis-matched series
We love publishers. A lot. But when they change the cover designs midway through a series we tend to Hulk out. WE LIKE OUR SERIES TO MATCH. Okay?
2. Kill your darlings
That terrifying phrase may be excellent writing advice, but it’s not fun for readers. It’s all well and good going into a book promising you won’t fall in love with the characters, but it never quite works that way…
3. Fear of movie adaptations
They can be amazing, and they can be so disappointing you want to cry – there’s rarely a middle ground when it comes to adaptations. But that doesn’t mean we won’t watch them all.
4. The risk of lending out books
On one hand: we want everyone to read our faves.
On the other hand: we don’t want them to specifically read OUR copies – what if they crease the spine? Or spill a drink on it? It doesn’t bear thinking about…
5. Real people never live up to book baes
Looking around your Maths class and seeing a distinct lack of guys matching the standards of your book boyfs is so disappointing. Is a real life Will Herondale too much to ask? (Probably…)
6. Your unusual love for the postman
He is the Bringer of the Books. Even on a day when we hate the world, the post man will always get a ginormous smile as he sighs and passes over your pile of packages. Sweet, sweet book post.
7. Waiting a year for book two
A year. 12 months. 52 weeks. However you say it, IT’S TOO LONG. Especially when there’s a cliffhanger. It’s practically reader cruelty…
8. That it’ll be death by books
It’s a genuine risk. The pile of glorious hardcovers on your bedside table is at least a metre high and we all know that one day the cat will jump on it, they’ll fly and that will be the end.
9. When creased spines make you want to cry
We all have that friend that doesn’t really care about books and gleefully mullers a paperback in front of us, right? Or do we just have really bad friends?
What are your biggest bookworm worries? Let us know at @maximumpopbooks
- Bookmail at its best…LitJoy Crate are making lady rebels of us all
- From Harry Potter to Katniss Everdeen what are your fave YA characters actually made out of?
- What should you read while you wait for ‘Scream Queens’ season 2?
- Quiz: Which book should you read to get back to school ready?
- We tried listening to an audiobook and you won’t believe how much more we read