What makes a book memorable? Is it the characters? The setting? The multiple and shocking deaths? Or maybe, sometimes it’s the furry friends that we remember most fondly.
Here we list some of our fave pets from fiction.
1. ‘The Wonderful Wizard of Oz’ by L. Frank Baum – Toto – How could we not include Toto on this list? Dorothy’s faithful little furball.
2. Lassie Come-Home by Eric Knight – Dogs don’t get more loyal, or more useful than Lassie.
3. ‘The Game of Thrones’ by George R. R. Martin – Ghost et al. – Who doesn’t want a direwolf?!
4. ‘Harry Potter’ by J. K. Rowling – Fang – Drooly, lovable Fang. Him and Ron could create a comedy act together.
5. The Adventures of Tintin by Hergé – Snowy – Oh Snowy. He is to Tintin what Toto is to Dorothy.
1. ‘Harry Potter’ by J. K. Rowling – Crookshanks – Hermione’s big ol’ bag of fur. A little grumpy.
2. ‘Harry Potter’ by J. K. Rowling – Mrs Norris – Is Filch married to this cat? Asking for a friend.
3. ‘Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland’ by Lewis Carroll – Cheshire cat and Dinah – Because we’re not sure you can call the Cheshire cat a ‘pet’, so we’ve clubbed him together with Alice’s pet ‘Dinah’.
4. ‘Mog’ by Judith Kerr – THE pet cat to end all pet cats. Oh Mog…
5. ‘The Black Cat’ by Edgar Allan Poe – Pluto – Uhh, have you read this story? Yeah. It doesn’t have the best of outcomes for anyone involved.
1. ‘Bleak House’ by Charles Dickens – Hope, Joy, Youth, Peace, Rest, Life, Dust, Ashes, Waste, Want, Ruin, Despair, Madness, Death, Cunning, Folly, Words, Wigs, Rags, Sheepskin, Plunder, Precedent, Jargon, Gammon, and Spinach – Just a few birds to keep Miss Flite busy.
2. ‘Harry Potter’ by J. K. Rowling – Trevor – We could have picked any number of other pets from this series, but we’ve given Trevor the toad the spotlight.
3. ‘His Dark Materials’ by Philip Pullman – Iorek Byrnison – Not really a pet… And we should be talking about daemons. But wouldn’t you just LOVE to have a bear like this on call?
4. ‘Chocolat’ by Joanne Harris – Pantoufle – This rabbit may be imaginary (and appear as a kangaroo in the film) but it’s still an important part of Anouk’s life.
5. ‘Chaos Walking’ series by Patrick Ness – Angharrad – Sure, we might have picked ‘Black Beauty’ but why gotta be obvious?
Which pets would you also put on this list? Tweet us @maximumpopbooks
- Cover reveal: Sophie McKenzie’s ‘Girl, Missing’ is 10 years old and it’s got a swanky new cover!
- Meredith Russo is straight up inspirational. Why? This is why…
- Win! 1 of 10 copies of ‘With Malice’ by Eileen Cook + a poster!
- Have you ever seen a book quite as flawless as this? Vivi Greene’s ‘Sing’ is owning the #shelfie
- Judge a Book By Its Cover: Rosalind Jana’s ‘Notes on Being Teenage’ is stand-out-on-the-shelf beautiful
- Not ready for ‘The Crown’ to end? Find out your Selection name!
- Struggling to pronounce the names in ‘A Court of Mist and Fury’? Sarah J Maas has got you covered
- Morgan Matson is the Queen of Summer and she’s sharing her summer essentials!