It’s almost October, and you all know what that means: getting totally creeped out in preparation for the spookiest night of the year, Halloween – and if you’re the nerdy type, we suggest you do this with some killer books.
We at MP! think that ‘Daughters Unto Devils’ by Amy Lukavics is an excellent choice if you want to really scare yourself silly, but in case you’ve already powered through this eery, blood-soaked horror, Amy herself has a couple of other options for you…
My Two Top Terrifying Reads
- The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon
This one is still fresh in my mind, and I say that over a year after reading it. This book is horrific, atmospheric, and heavily tinged with an air of mystery that is unsettling beyond the definition of the word. It also focuses heavily on mother/daughter relationships, something I always appreciate in my fiction. One of my favourites, for sure!
- House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
This book is less of a book than it is a complete and total experience. From the first page, you are reminded that there is something behind you, watching, waiting. The endless array of footnotes, drawings, graphs, highlighted words, and even text that needs decoding will pull you into an entire other world – one that’s cold, dark, and above all other things, unsure. This book took me months to get through because I wanted to make sure not to miss a single thing, but once I was done, I was truly disturbed. This isn’t just another haunted house novel. This is ergodic literature at its best.
More bookish articles?
- Joe Sugg’s new book is the fastest-selling graphic novel EVER?
- Leigh Bardugo reads from Six of Crows – PRE RELEASE DAY. BE STILL OUR BEATING HEARTS.
- Benjaminoftomes is starting up his own micro-publishing house – the first book of which you can pre-order HERE
- Get a taste fro ‘Demon Road’ with this FREE chapter
- Help us interview Nicholas Sparks 28/09
- Getting to know Derek Landy’s Twitter: “Just spent 3 minutes standing in a pitch-black bathroom trying to convince my girlfriend @Patrick_Ness‘s new book glows in the dark.”
- Pick your next read from author Josephine Angelini’s recommendations – including Winner’s Curse, Harry Potter and the Harper Hall trilogy
- Check out author Amy Lukavics’ casting for her new terrifying read, ‘Daughters Unto Devils’ with Evan Peters, Ansel Elgort and MORE
- New releases, jewellery, stationary and EXCLUSIVE items – Illumicrate is our new fave quarterly box subscription service
- MP! Review: The Worldwalker series blasts you into a new world you won’t want to leave
- 5 reasons you need to get yourself to Book It! – YA Festvial 2-11th October