As professional book nerds we all know that there’s not only one way to be a reader. We’re a diverse bunch and we all read and treat books in different ways.
You’ll probably come across at least one of each of these in your reading life:
1. The Dog-Ear Reader
These are the kinds of readers that make us MP!ers flinch a little every time we think about it. USE A BOOKMARK! A train ticket! Or even a spoon!
2. The Bath Reader
We salute your bravery, reader. Wanting to read so much that you risk submitting a book to a watery death is something to aspire to. And if you venture into the bath with a Kindle or a hardback, well, good luck to you, friends. We’re in awe.
3. The “I will not bend the spine” Reader
AKA us here at MP… We often get comments that nothing on our bookshelves look read and it makes us glow with pride. We like beautiful, shiny books, what more can we say?
4. The “I can read everything at the same time” Reader
We all know that reader who’s reading an e-book, a paperback, an audiobook and a hardback all at the same time. In fact, it might just be us…
5. The Marathon Reader
We definitely know a few of these! They’re often spotted in a cosy corner with a full series piled beside them and then when you walk past an hour later, they’re still there, but they’re two books down…
6. The Book Club Reader
They’re in YA book club, a classics book club and a literary book club. Oh, and don’t forget the readathons and readalongs they do with their friends online. We feel a bit exhausted even writing that…
7. The Literary Snob Reader
“Oh, you read YA? Do you ever read real books?”
These readers give us rage. We don’t talk to them.
8. The Fickle Reader
We know all about these readers. They start reading every new book as soon as they get it, only to abandon it for the next one. Eventually they end up reading 15 books at once and have a bit of a breakdown. Not that that’s ever happened to us, of course…
9. The Re-Reader
Re-reading is the ultimate comforting treat. A good re-read is the equal of a warm hug, and some people just like to re-read their favourites on a loop.
Which type of reader are you? Let us know at @maximumpopbooks!
- 7 books we’d love to see turned into a TV series
- WIN! 1 of 3 ‘Glass Sword’ bundles, including brand new special editions and a tote bag!
- Who said it: Disney or Stephanie Perkins?
- 5 reasons why ‘The Moonlight Dreamers’ feels “dangerously close to excitement”
- A Literary Guide to Southampton by Stephanie Derham
- Judge a Book By Its Cover: ‘Sing’ is “simple but eye-catching” with it’s classy cover and pop of colour! But what do you think?
- Weekend Reads: Is your weekend TBR as awesome as the MP! Books team’s?
- What do you need to read after binge watching…’Gilmore Girls’?