The readathon is a firm fixture in the bookish community. And lucky are we that there are so many to choose from. Some, however, are more hardcore than others…
Here we celebrate some of the readathons that are so gnarly they should be made an Olympic event.
1. What? Dewey’s 24 hour readathon. When? Next is October.
Created by the readathon’s namesake in 2007, but after her passing in 2008, it has been continued on ever since.
“For 24 hours, we read books, post to our blogs, Twitters, Tumblrs, Goodreads and MORE about our reading, and visit other readers’ homes online. We also participate in mini-challenges throughout the day. It happens twice a year, in April and in October.”
24 hours. HOO BOY! That’s a marathon of reading.
2. What? 24in48. When? Bi-annual.
“Beginning at 12:01am on Saturday morning and running through 11:59pm on Sunday night, readers read for 24 hours out of that 48 hour period. You can split that up however you’d like: 20 hours on Saturday, 4 hours on Sunday; 12 hours each day; six 4 hour sessions with 4 hour breaks in between; whatever you’d like.”
So like the first, but a little more spread out. Still pretty hardcore.
3. What? CramAThon When? Various.
Here's the challenges for this summer! You can combine them if you wanna, and no biggie if you can't do all of them! pic.twitter.com/B10K41kIXh
— CramAThon (@CramAThon) July 8, 2016
The challenges inside of a challenge. Tactical reading is necessary to succeed.
4. What? #TBRTakedown When? Various.
Literally taking down that ever-growing beast of a ‘To Be Read’ shelf you got going. The aim is to smash as much of that TBR as possible.
A bit like Judo, or Boxing but for books.
5. What? #7in7readathon When? Annually. (we think?)
7 hours and 70 pages left to finish my 7th book for #7in7readathon – I can do this 💪🏻🏋🏼📖
— Kathy (@anothergreatetc) August 6, 2016
7 days. 7 books. We’ve tried our own version (see here). It is NOT for the faint-hearted.
6. What? #HarryXmasToYou When? December.
“A Read-a-Watch-a-Long-a-Thon of Harry Potter in the month of December!”
Seriously last year was amazing and I am blown away. I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR. Who's gonna win next year??
— HarryChristmasToYou (@HarryXmasToYou) January 16, 2016
Have you taken part in any of these? Did you survive? Tweet us @maximumpopbooks
- Everyone involved in the #bookolympics deserves a gold medal. Here’s 10 of our faves so far…
- Oops. 7 times we low key liked the secondary characters more than the protagonist
- Quiz: what does your favourite potion say about you? Be prepared for a scarily accurate result!
- 15 gifs that perfectly express the experience of reading ‘Paper Butterflies’ #AlltheFeels
- Ice cream and books are an A+ combo, but can we guess your favourite Rainbow Rowell book based on your ice cream choice?
- Quiz: which John Green book should you read based on your fave 5sos member?
- We tried sneak reading in possibly the worst place ever, and well, it didn’t go to plan…