Liz Kessler’s ‘Read Me Like a Book’ is a light, sweet story but it’s not without it’s shadow. Following Ashleigh’s journey towards self-discovery and summoning the strength to tell the world who she is; it’s a real page-turner.
In honour of this beautiful addition to the YA LGBT canon, we’ve listed some of our favourite books about coming out.
What list is ever complete without a David Leviathan title? So we’ll start as we mean to go on. ‘Two Boys Kissing’ works on so many levels, giving the reader different angles to see the story from. It’s a masterpiece.
Tess Sharpe’s ‘Far From You’ is one of those books that actually stays “close to you”. Another healthy reminder that love and relationships don’t always fit into the box society expects it to.
This story is everything you want from a contemporary YA. Yes, it deals with LGBT issues, but it’s also one of those books that makes you fall in love with it, all of it. *squishes book*
So, we really don’t want to spoil too much of this gem of a book. It’s the fourth in Jenny McLachlan’s ‘The Ladybirds’ series but can easily be read as a standalone. The handling of a certain character’s coming out is so gorgeous.
‘More Happy Than Not’ will potentially hit you where it hurts, but it shows how someone’s sexual identity can change how they think about the world and how they act.
You knew this would be on here, right? Snowbaz have their own fandom, just in case you missed it. It’s kind of a big deal. Rainbow Rowell has written something beautifully heart-seizing and will create much excited clapping on your part.
We know there are TONS of books we could have listed, but you know, we couldn’t feature all of them! You can always tweet us with your favourite coming out book, yeh? @maximumpopbooks
And you can get your own copy of ‘Read Me Like a Book’ right here!
- May is a huge month for YA releases and here are a few we’re most looking forward to
- 5 reasons why this ‘Passenger’ event was a total ride!
- 11 of the most remarkable YA ladies, inspired by Jennifer Donnelly’s ‘These Shallow Graves’
- Maximum Pop! Books is on Facebook!
- 5 reasons you need to read Liz Kessler’s ‘Read Me Like a Book’. Like, immediately.
- 17 of the bestest and the weirdest books about cats
- We crapped ourselves at ‘Goosebumps Alive’. Are you brave enough for London’s newest immersive theatre experience?