A wealthy family. A deadly secret. A young woman with more to lose than she knows.
Sounds intriguing, right? We kinda think everything about ‘These Shallow Graves’ is excellent, but here are a few big ones:
1. The setting. 1890s New York City. Glamour, darkness and a gritty underworld. That basically ticks all of our boxes. I mean, NYC alone would have been enough tbh. We’re kind of obsessed.
2. MURDER. We probs shouldn’t be as excited about murder as we are, but oh well! Accidents just aren’t as good; there’s no motive, nefarious suspects or DANGER. But ‘These Shallow Graves’ has all of these in spades.
3. Victorian skyline. We love the skyline in the background all covered in mist. Did we mention we love New York? ‘Cos we love New York.
4. Romance. It’s possible that we’re suckers for romance (lies, it’s definitely true) and ‘These Shallow Graves’ promises a burgeoning romance between Jo and young reporter Eddie as they investigate her father’s murder.
5. The cover. We 100% judge a book by its cover (whoops) and this cover is rather gorgeous. The colours and the silhouette and the FONT *swoons*.
Have we convinced you? Buy the book right here!
Read it already? Tell us what you love about it @maximumpopbooks!
- 12 of the best YA that deal with grief and loss
- Wattpad Writers: ‘Dark and Dangerous Love’ author Molly Night shares her writing process + win 250 radish coins!
- MP! Reads: Liz Kessler reads from ‘Read Me Like a Book’ and it will make you feel stuff
- You’ll want to read these ‘These Shallow Graves’ over and over again
- How to start a book blog: how to self promote
- Enter our ‘pets and pages’ photo competition and win many Morgan Matson goodies!
- Quiz: which John Green book are you, really?
- Bookshelf tours, hauls and filming on her iPhone: A Q&A with Jen Campbell
- WIN! 1 of 20 signed copies of ‘These Shallow Graves’ by Jennifer Donnelly – 1 for you and 1 for a friend!