Hype for a book is a bit of a double edged sword. If you’re totally into the series, or the author is an auto-buy then it’s great fun to get whipped up into it. Seeing that release day creep closer be like:
On the other hand, there’s nothing worse than picking up an overhyped book that then makes you feel like you want your money back. And your time. And the brain cells you’re sure to have lost while reading that shizz.
It’s not always bad though. Some books do actually legit live up to all the hype surrounding them. The worry is real though:
Those who have read Jane Eyre? How was it? Is it worth the read or just another boring overhyped book.
— Mamoyo Speshari (@Rutendo__) August 4, 2016
Yes. It’s worth it. Ten times over.
Fangirl By Rainbow Rowell |Overhyped Book https://t.co/GNRAkXT4EG
— My Trending Stories (@mytrending) August 8, 2016
There is SO MUCH hype for anything with Rainbow Rowell’s name stamped on it. But for good reason. She’s an absolute legend of a writer.
i think i will always have a soft spot for tfios (book & movie) no matter how overhyped it is lol
— № (@sabrinaokcool) August 26, 2016
Amen to that.
And because sometimes it’s actually the hype that makes you pick up a book in the first place, and that can’t be a bad thing regardless of the outcome:
So, now it’s time to have YOUR say. We’ve collected some of the books we think live up to, or even exceed, the hype surrounding them. But you can say ‘yay’ or ‘nay’ to our picks. THE POWER IS IN YOUR HANDSSSSS!
Is there a book you would have included? Tweet us @maximumpopbooks
- It’s all about the book love in August’s YA Chronicles box
- Discover the magic of ‘The Graces’ and more in these heart-stopping new releases
- Quiz: Can you guess the missing words in these ‘Harry Potter’ quotes?
- Which Malorie Blackman book is getting a TV show? We’ll tell you!
- 12 coffee shops that need to be on every bookworm’s bucket list
- Is your ‘Harry Potter’ book worth a small fortune? Plus 8 ways to then spend it!
- Our ultimate pop quiz challenge will legit have you raging. Try it!
- Win! You’ll be #HeadOverHeels for this ‘Geek Girl’ goody bag!