They’re not just your standard castmate tats, though. The design they picked holds an incredibly important meaning and encourages people to open up about mental health.
Told you, it’s a tearjerker.
So, what are the tattoos? Well, in case you haven’t already guessed, the design Selena and the actors got was a semicolon.
It’s a symbol that’s become known for battling depression and according to the Project Semicolon Instagram account is:
“A movement dedicated to presenting hope & love to those who struggle with mental illness, suicide, addiction & self-injury.”
Brandon Flynn (Justin), Tommy Dorfman (Ryan) and Alisha Boe (Jessica) are just three of the 13 Reasons Why actors who now sport the symbol.
Tommy even shared his reason behind getting it on Instagram.
Today was a magical day. Another day to be grateful to be alive. Alisha, Selena, and I went together to get ; tattoos. The ; symbol stands for an end of one thought and a beginning of another. Instead of a period, authors use the semicolon to continue a sentence. For us, it means a beginning of another chapter in life, in lieu of ending your life. I struggled with addiction and depression issues through high school and early college. I reached out and asked for help. At the time, I thought my life was over, I thought I’d never live past the age of 21. Today I’m grateful to be alive, in this new chapter of life in recovery, standing with my colleagues and friends, making art that helps other people. If you’re struggling, if you feel suicidal, I urge you to click the link in my bio. Ask for help. Start a new chapter with the support of others. 🌧⛅️🌤☀️and RIP Amy Bleul, who started the semicolon movement.
Personally, we love how important the plot of 13 Reasons Why is to the cast. You can tell it’s more than just another acting job to them – they’re really trying to change the attitudes towards mental health.
I have received so much love and support from all of you who are watching 13 Reasons Why. Today- Tommy, Selena and I got tattoos of a semicolon. Project semicolon is a movement dedicated to presenting hope for those suffering from depression, thoughts of suicide, addiction, and self-injury. Those of you watching 13 Reasons Why and identify with Hannah Baker, please check out Beyond The Reasons on netflix, or check out the link in my bio. Rest In Peace Amy Bleul, who started this movement. Love you all❤❤ (thx @ktal77 and @joymaryro for the inspo😉)
If you too want to encourage others to talk about their mental health, we’ve rounded up a whole load of 13 Reasons Why merch you can wear.
Not only do the buys encourage people to watch the show, but fingers crossed they’ll help you meet other fans, who are also hooked on the super important story.
1. We LOVE this cassette tape necklace
2. OMG this Justice for Hannah t-shirt is the BEST
3. This handmade cassette tape pin is SO cool
4. We’re obsessed with these bookish 13 Reasons Why earrings
5. Everyone needs a Monet’s Cafe t-shirt
6. He sooooo did! This Jeff Atkins cap is incredible!
7. This 13 Reasons Why semicolon bracelet is important
8. We’re still crushing over this cassette tape charm necklace
9. This Hey Helmet tee is flippin’ adorable
10. Ultimate 13 Reasons Why fans need this t-shirt
11. Decorate your phone with this Hanna phone case
12. Carry your school books in this cassette tape tote bag
13. This FML tee is lush
14. Accessorise your school books with these Hanna stickers
15. LOL! This t-shirt is saying what we’re all thinking…
16. Tony fans NEED this hoodie
17. Support Project Semicolon with this t-shirt
What’s your favourite item? Let us know in the comments below.