A book as weird and wonderful as Alan Cumyn’s ‘Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend’ definitely needs its own playlist. Alan has put together a list of 5 songs perfect for jamming along to while reading his brand new book.
Sheils is very happy with her perfectly controlled life. She’s smart, powerful, the Student Body Chair, and has a doting boyfriend. What more could a girl ask for? But everything changes when the first-ever interspecies transfer student, a pterodactyl (what?) named Pyke, enrolls at her school. There’s something about him – something primal – that causes the students to lose control whenever he’s around.
‘Rebel Rebel’ by David Bowie
Pyke, the pterodactyl, gets everybody in a whirl.
‘Extraordinary Machine’ by Fiona Apple
Playing in the subconscious of Vista View High’s Student Body Chair, Shiels Krane.
‘Wild Thing’ as performed by Animal, of the Muppets
The drumbeat to the whole book.
‘Love Hurts’, the Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris
For the break-up of Shiels and her near-perfect boyfriend, Sheldon Myers.
‘I’m Alive’ by the Screaming Iguanas of Love
(There is genuinely no YouTube video of this song – which has never happened to us before – so have a gif of Jensen Ackles rocking out.)
Gotta love the band name.
Do you listen to music while you read? Share your favourite reading playlist with us @maximumpopbooks!
- Five reasons you need to read ‘Flawed’ by Cecelia Ahern right now
- Maximum Pop! Books Presents: A Guide to Literary Bath
- Reviewer Round-Up: Rainbow Rowell’s ‘Carry On’ is “a one-of-a-kind homage to fanfiction”
- 32 Reader Problems – because we know the bookish struggle is real
- Announcing the Geek Fest Tour with Holly Smale; go get your geek on!
- 9 most unique books we’ve had the pleasure of reading, incl. the bizarre ‘Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend’